New duck parent..what breed could mine be?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nickolemarie7, Apr 21, 2016.

1. nickolemarie7

nickolemarie7 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2016
    I am a new duck mommy, just picked up 3 little ducklings this week. Currently they're still in my bathroom as I'm getting the pen and coop finished. Any idea what kind these could be? When they're in the sun theyre a dark green,not sure if that matters. Also, Im supposed to be picking up a hen house this weekend and was wondering if it would be big enough to house them at night before I make the drive to get it, it's about 4 ft by 3ft. I'm planning on them only being in it from dusk till dawn and then having them in a secured play yard after that(until winter atleast and then maybe adding onto it). I live on the river and don't trust the Hawks around here to not scoop them up if they're free roaming during the day unfortunately.[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][/IMG]

2. susan251

susan251 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2016
    Hamilton, Ontario
    Welcome! Those are some cute ducklings. I dont know what breed unfortunately. The house you mentioned should be big enough for them, but it doesnt look like it has much ventilation, which is really important for ducks. Maybe you could add some later?

3. mbeadz22

mbeadz22 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2016
    Southern Idaho
    They look like Khaki Cambells.

4. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    The house would be okay for your three ducks but if you plan on adding more you will need to expand. I agree with susan251 that ventilation looks to be lacking, so you'll need to add holes, windows, or vents. Or better yet all three. [​IMG]

They also look like KC to me.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  5. nickolemarie7

Apr 21, 2016

Yea I'm planning on cutting a window on every wall and possibly installing some sort of vent on the roof for the really hot nights and just covering them with hardware wire

6. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Quote: X3 They're an excellent egg laying breed.

7. susan251

susan251 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2016
    Hamilton, Ontario
    The house would be okay for your three ducks but if you plan on adding more you will need to expand.

FYI, Plan on more. No one tells you, but they are addictive little things. :D

8. nickolemarie7

Apr 21, 2016

Haha oh yes! I've already planned on getting a few more once I get a good plan for building my own coop and run. Just didn't want to overwhelm myself all at once not having a duck before. I had a few as a kid but they were mean little stinkers to everyone but the adults

9. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Khaki campbells

10. TroyerGal

TroyerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

yup, they look like KC to me also... trust me on this one, i have 8 of 'em ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by