New duck pen! bedding HELP!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by xoxoxoxo, Aug 2, 2013.

1. xoxoxoxo

xoxoxoxo New Egg

Aug 2, 2013
    I just recently moved my 2 pekin ducks into a new pen. I am new to owning ducks so I am not sure what would be best to use for bedding. Right now I have rubber stall mats on top of pea stone. I have been hosing the mats off everyday but its so hard to Keep up with all the duck poop this way. It gets everywhere! Plus the pen is right next to the house so I don't wanna spray all the poop onto the house lol plus in the winter the hose is shut off.

I wasn't sure if anyone had any suggestions on something to put down on the mats? I was going to use shavings but I don't want the wind blowing it all over the yard. Would straw work?

2. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Straw is a bad idea for ducks unless it's winter and you need warmth, I use shavings. if you point the opening to your coop the right way, the wind won't bother them.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "I Believe" Premium Member

So your wanting something on the outside of their house in their pen? some have used sand[raking daily] straw might work but would get nasty and smelly pretty fast I am thinking. small river rock may work[ Lowes] it's round and less abrasive to their feet I have it around my pool for the ducks. I have seen where others have used stall mats on the inside of their ducks houses but not the outside.[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  4. xoxoxoxo

xoxoxoxo New Egg

Aug 2, 2013
    Ya something for the outside. I have an old dog kennel that I am using. They have a coop they can go into and that I have shavings for. Would shaving be my best position for the outside as well? I'm just afraid that the shavings will fall all over the yard

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "I Believe" Premium Member

On those good gusty days you probably will have some shaving fly out, if you have hardware cloth around the bottom of your kennel for security then I doubt you'd lose much shaving since the hardware cloth[wire] is close knit. Only problem is with the stall mats underneath there won't be any drainage and seems the straw or shaving would stay really wet.

6. xoxoxoxo

xoxoxoxo New Egg

Aug 2, 2013
    I am probably just going to use shavings. It seems like the safest, cleanest and simplest option. Thank you!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by