New Duck Pond~

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ourflock14and, Aug 21, 2013.

1. ourflock14and

ourflock14and New Egg

Jul 23, 2013
    [​IMG][​IMG]Hey all! I set up a beautiful pond for Don, Disco and Jerry....There is easy access for them to go in and out on their own, but we have to get them over and put them in, I fill the pond in the morning and hope I will go out and they will be in, but not yet...It has only been 2 weeks, but I hope there is something I can put near the pond to attract them...Once we get them in they
    L O V E it!

And we give them awesome treats while they are swimming*****

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG] is it out in the open? they may just not feel comfortable if it is. I was going to say putting treats like dried meal worms since they float but since you put treats in and that isn't working maybe move the pool closer to cover is all I can think of they look pretty young and may just be scared to be on their own. They are adorable

3. duckins

duckins Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    They'll learn. Their so adorable.

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    So cute! young ones find big pools scary at first the earliest swimmers here have been mama duck directed, otherwise it does take time, enure they can get in/out and it's in an area familiar to them.

5. ourflock14and

ourflock14and New Egg

Jul 23, 2013
    [​IMG]Thanks for the great info, it is not in the open or way tucked away, there is a beautiful Mullberry Tree near the pond area, I feel from all the responses time and routine is the answer. Wow you should see they are all bigger, just from morning till night they seem bigger!

6. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Ducklings grow like weeds, ducks HATE anything new, they are real routine animals so when you change that they freak out. Give it time, soon you'll be prying them out of it lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by