new duck run going up (pictures) last post

annie3001

My Girls
13 Years
Jun 11, 2009
Ct.
Soooo i have to rebuild my duck run. it collpased last night.
there was heavy heavy rain and my tarp ontop of the run, made the run so top it fell apart. i built the run. of course i sort of do things real fast and not think. urg!!! all my faul. duckys are fine, thank goodness it was in the middle of the night.
so now my vacation is rebuilding the run .... or getting my hubby and my dad to help!!!

sad.png

Last edited:
So sorry you are having these troubles. Keeping them safe at night is so very important though. I bet if your hubby and dad had helped it still may have colapsed last night anyway- men arent always better at building things than us woman!!! I will be spending Easter redoing my night pens. I am lucky that I do not have to start from scratch as they are in a big shed- but cleaning out all the old bedding and swapping over to new Lino- ( 25 foot long ) and redesigning the layout of the fencing to include two areas for breeding pairs to be housed and disposing of all the rubbish and soiled bedding will keep me busy for two days.

i am going to try and push it back up.... and secure it for now, remove the tarp or snip some holes in it. so if it does rain..... the rain can pass thru.

i mean, it was raining real hard. glad that everyone is okay tho.

I had the same kind of thing happen to my chicken run (and guinea pen) last winter. The runs I keep them in when I'm not home have netting over the top. We got heavy snow and ice, and it stuck to the netting and pulled it to the ground. The weight was enough that some of the fence posts it was secured to actually pulled in and laid half-over too. I couldn't fix it until the ice melted so the chickens had no day run for about a week. They weren't much interested in coming out of the coop anyway. The guineas were even less interested.

Water (and frozen water) can be heavy!

i took the whole duck run down. had to. exhausted. all i heard while i was removing the wire etc. was quack quack quack....
i had left over fencing from our yard and put that up for now. so they could at least come out.
i piled all the wood together, the fencing. etc. into piles. i also kicked the blue tarp, that caused this to crumble. well maybe not the cause. but thanks tarp for being so tough. (sigh) i spent about 3 hours cleaning up the mess. and am pooped.

time for a nap.
smile.png

soooo, today my dad came by the house and moved the duck coop closer to the others. leveling it. and starting the new run for the ducks!! they spent the whole day outside. enjoying the sun and a breeze we had here in ct. today.
tomorrow we are off to home depot to get a gallon of green paint so the coop matches the others. i am so so excited!!! ill update tomorrow with some new pics of it!!

see ya!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom