Zolamarie

Songster
Nov 25, 2017
Richmond VA, USA
Yesterday I adopted a duck. I posted about it last night. He doesn’t look like he’s in the best shape(poor baby) and he was terrified of me yesterday. It’s clear he isn’t used to be handled. He is not quite as scared of me today, but still doesn’t trust me yet. I know it’ll take some time.

Peggy really wants to get to him
34A82DCA-3789-4BCC-B880-697245F44C81.jpeg

He used to run into the back corner of the duck house and hide from me but now he runs just inside the door and he comes back out after a minute.
C0DCD2F2-52DE-40A4-9395-1E6DFCA78E30.jpeg
FD040E91-B643-4388-B822-572C736A0AB6.jpeg

I’m just curious what the vet will do when I take him in for a check up. Do any of y’all know what I should expect?

More than likely he'll listen to his heart for one thing. Then do blood work if you agree main thing I'd do is let them do a fecal to make sure he isn't wormy. Having worms can cause them to lose weight and be anemic.

He is already starting to feel comfy, that is great.

Yesterday I adopted a duck. I posted about it last night. He doesn’t look like he’s in the best shape(poor baby) and he was terrified of me yesterday. It’s clear he isn’t used to be handled. He is not quite as scared of me today, but still doesn’t trust me yet. I know it’ll take some time.

Peggy really wants to get to himView attachment 1296590
He used to run into the back corner of the duck house and hide from me but now he runs just inside the door and he comes back out after a minute.View attachment 1296592 View attachment 1296593
I’m just curious what the vet will do when I take him in for a check up. Do any of y’all know what I should expect?
He's absolutely precious. Bless you for adopting him.

A
More than likely he'll listen to his heart for one thing. Then do blood work if you agree main thing I'd do is let them do a fecal to make sure he isn't wormy. Having worms can cause them to lose weight and be anemic.

He is already starting to feel comfy, that is great.
Thanks for the info! I think he has bumblefoot but I didn’t get a very good look at his feet. I hope it’s not too bad, but do you think the vet will do something about that? He is still quite scared of humans so I’m a little worried how this vet visit will go. My vet does work at the wildlife rescue center so I guess she must be used to skittish animals. Thanks again!

He will be scared but if he has these issues and she is use to working with a variety of animals including birds I am sure she will know what to do. I would think if she works at a wild life rescue she has delt with bumble foot and can treat. Once she has looked him over let us know what all she has to say about his health including his feet. We can help with things that you can do at home after you know what all your dealing with.

When will you be taking him to the vet?

He will be scared but if he has these issues and she is use to working with a variety of animals including birds I am sure she will know what to do. I would think if she works at a wild life rescue she has delt with bumble foot and can treat. Once she has looked him over let us know what all she has to say about his health including his feet. We can help with things that you can do at home after you know what all your dealing with.

When will you be taking him to the vet?
Thanks for your reassuring answers!:hugs

Sounds like he may have been picked on where he was. He'll be beautiful once he molts and grows in his new feathers. He may not have even had bathing water. Give him time and once him and Peggy can be together she'll teach him alot of things he'll settle right in soon.Your doing great with him.

Sounds like he may have been picked on where he was. He'll be beautiful once he molts and grows in his new feathers. He may not have even had bathing water. Give him time and once him and Peggy can be together she'll teach him alot of things he'll settle right in soon.Your doing great with him.
Yeah.. I thought so too, especially since his tail feathers are so torn up! You can’t even see his drake feather. Poor baby. He can see Peggy through wire, and he doesn’t seem to care about her at all, but all Peggy wants is to get to him. It’s so cute because every time she starts preening, he walks over and starts up himself! :love And thanks! I am trying my best, but I have no idea what I’m doing.:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom