New duck (VIDEO)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ladycrotalus, Sep 7, 2009.

1. ladycrotalus

ladycrotalus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Massena, NY
    What is it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My neighbor volunteered my name to take her because his friend didnt want her to be alone when a fox got his drake. I asked him how old she was and he said he had her for 3 years and her and the drake never had eggs. Her quack is really soft and raspy sounding so i dunno. I asked him what kind she was before i actually got a look at her/him because it was in a white bag. He said its a female mallard, but it dont look like the pics on google.

I recorded its voice, its the muffled sounding quack

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  2. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Not a mallard. Totally gorgeous though.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

3. L0rraine

L0rraine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    A Heinz 57? Runner/Rouen? Whatever - she's awfully cute.

4. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Ok , well im pretty sure if he hasnt gotten eggs in three years and the voice is raspy its a Drake. Looks like a Mallard or Rouen as the father and maybe a Magpie or dark coled runner as the mom? He is at least half rouen or mallard with the coloration on the head. I know ive seen a duck like that before i just cant remember where [​IMG]

5. 1-duckling

1-duckling Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Washington
    I agree with the rouen/runner mix thought. One was given to me as a "rescue" duck from a community pond at mobile home park and had similar markings/color. The pond had the rouen and fawn runners but then, also looked like some pekin swimming around. But the picture looks more slender necked like that of a runner. My avatar is my white runner hen Half & Half.

6. ladycrotalus

Jun 14, 2009
    Massena, NY
    Do drakes sport those curly tail feathers all the time or only in breeding season? My duck book doesnt say.

7. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I don't think it has runner or rouen in it though hard to tell unless you get us a picture of it standing up. I would say magpie mix of some kind but it could be lots of things.

8. What an unusual duck! Gorgeous!
    Goatwalker is right about it being a male, not every breed gets a drake feather. I forget which ones don't. But no eggs and no quack mean drake for sure.

9. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    It sounds like 'she' is really a HE! And I'm going to say I'm leaning more towards a Pekin and mallard or rouen cross, because Fawn & white runners have very symmetrical patterns, and on all of mine they only have a white ring on their neck, and a few white flight feathers. So it really wouldn't explain the white patches all over the duck.

Plus, runners give their offspring a really funky, THIN body shape. Even my large breed Silver Appleyard crossed with runners are skinny. But cute nonetheless. [​IMG]

10. ladycrotalus

Jun 14, 2009
    Massena, NY
    Ive been more into the chickens then the ducks but they grew on me, i just wish they werent so dirty. But the thought of this one being a drake has me excited for ducklings. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by