1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

new duck, what am I?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by faykokoWV, Oct 7, 2009.

1. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Picked this duck up today, someone had to rehome it and i decided to take it. I have no idea what kind of duck it is or if its just a mutt. The owner said it is about 3 -4 months old, but it seems awfully big for that, also, is it just me or is its tail extra long?

I think its a drake as some of the black feathers have green in them. Let me know if that's a false assumption. This is my first duck ever!

2. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    Young muscovy drake

3. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    He's gorgeous, whatever he is. I'm thinking Muscovy and Ancona, though Magpie may be in there a bit.

4. faykokoWV

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    good to know, so its a he for sure and probably a Muscovy. Now, do I need to worry about him molesting my chickens when he gets older?

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    He might. Better get him a couple of girlfriends just to make sure [​IMG]

6. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Muscovy & a mighty pretty drakelet at that. Very nice duclair pied. He may be a bit younger than 3/4 mo. His flight feathers aren't all the way in. By four months he would have more caruncles on his face and would start hissing instead of peeping. Scovy drakes get big! [​IMG]
    Check out the "Muscoy Keepers share your pic's" thread on pg 2 right now and see what you think.
    With winter coming he should be o.k. with the Chooks. Scovys generally are seasonal breeders. My drake never bothered the chooks, didn't even bother his girls till spring arrived. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  7. faykokoWV

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    Thanks everyone. I'm guessing the clues to drake are the red already on the beak and the big feet? I'm going to keep him with my chickens until he causes trouble. I'm guessing he and the little roos I have might stir it up a little come spring time. I was hoping for a girl as it would be less trouble, but we'll figure it out.

8. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Yup....and the size. Muscovy drakes get really big.

9. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Muscovies are awesome!!! I have 2 and I love them to bits!!!! Yours is gorgeous by the way.

10. Le Canard de Barbarie

Le Canard de Barbarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    My guess the bird is around two months old. The flight feathers are still developing. I slaughter muscovies at twelve weeks, and they are fully feathered at that time. Also, pin feathers are minimal at that time.

I'm lousy at guessing the sex unless I can compare them in a group of the same age. The feet don't look overly big, and might indicate a female. His face looks possibly masculine though. Anyway, I'm lousy at sexing young muscovies unless I have others to compare it to. I do believe that bird is less than twelve weeks old, though.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by