New duck won't leave coop

Sarah1508

In the Brooder
Apr 20, 2016

Hi we inherited two Indian Running Ducks, both male, when we bought our house. Unfortunately 3 nights ago one was killed, we think by a fox. We bought a new male yesterday, he is a year old.
He spent the late afternoon and overnight with the other male inside the coop,but today has spent all day inside. I did make him go outside at first, hoping he would follow the other one but he has just been sitting in the corner.
He has food and water inside but hasn't touched either I don't think.
Shall we just leave him to come out himself? Tonight I will have to put the other one back in with him as we have nowhere else suitable.
Neither of them are injured so I don't think they've been fighting
Thanks very much for any advice

I would just leave him for the time being. Ducks absolutely hate change; being moved is scary and stressful for them. But they come around with time. He will probably start to feel comfortable enough in a day or so to come out on his own. They say curiosity killed the cat, but i think it applies more to the duck! Lol. Herding him out yourself will only increase his stress. You could try putting some yummy treats outside to entice him. But I'm sure he will be out and about soon :) good luck!

I would just leave him for the time being. Ducks absolutely hate change; being moved is scary and stressful for them. But they come around with time. He will probably start to feel comfortable enough in a day or so to come out on his own. They say curiosity killed the cat, but i think it applies more to the duck! Lol. Herding him out yourself will only increase his stress. You could try putting some yummy treats outside to entice him. But I'm sure he will be out and about soon
smile.png
good luck!

Agreed - he's had a stressful change - taken from familiar home, put in new home, new flock mate, etc -- he just needs time to acclimate.

ETA - reading the bolded I just had to share:

Last edited:
Many thanks for the speedy and excellent advice, we will just leave him be and let him do his own thing. Hopefully he will feel happier soon
1f44d-1f3fb.png
1f600.png

Many thanks to everyone for the very helpful and speedy responses I'm new today to BYC and judging by the answers I've had you seem a lovely bunch of people
I will post on the new member introduction once I've got my breath back, we've just spent 40 mins mending a field gate that our horses destroyed to get away from the flies. Luckily they only went a few yards before they stopped but it was a bit disconcerting to hear galloping hooves going past our window
As you can tell we've had one of those days!!!

Just a quick update on our new arrival. He came out of the coop with our other duck, Pat first thing this morning and they've both been wandering about together. He doesn't seem to be foraging at the moment, but he has food back in the coop and access to water and the pond too.
They wandered off down the lane to our neighbours (heart in mouth time, when we saw them go) but have both come back again. Phew!

Back
Top Bottom