New duck

Pekin747

Songster
Feb 20, 2019
Ireland
So I've been wanting to try and get another breed of duck because I love ducks and where I live we have no really strict rules on what breed u can and cant keep as far as I'm aware

Currently I've got a trio of saxony Indian runners
2 trios of trout Indian runners
1 blue call drake
7 muscovys
And 2 pair of manderin ducks

Unfortunately due to commitments I'm cutting down on the muscovys as I have found they breed a lot to much for me this year every female clocked twice and 3 females cracked 3 times and the smallest batch they brought out was 10 ducklings
And I did set them with other breeds of ducks at times but it was most theyer own
So as u can see j would need lots of time to set up places and do everything for them as i find my Male hurts the young if i keep them in the same run so I'm going to lart ways with them soon

And try a different breed i was thinking cayuga but i wanted to here if use had any good experience something that wont breed a tone or isnt a serious clocker like the muscovy so I can control the breeding a bit better

Thanx

So I've been wanting to try and get another breed of duck because I love ducks and where I live we have no really strict rules on what breed u can and cant keep as far as I'm aware

Currently I've got a trio of saxony Indian runners
2 trios of trout Indian runners
1 blue call drake
7 muscovys
And 2 pair of manderin ducks

Unfortunately due to commitments I'm cutting down on the muscovys as I have found they breed a lot to much for me this year every female clocked twice and 3 females cracked 3 times and the smallest batch they brought out was 10 ducklings
And I did set them with other breeds of ducks at times but it was most theyer own
So as u can see j would need lots of time to set up places and do everything for them as i find my Male hurts the young if i keep them in the same run so I'm going to lart ways with them soon

And try a different breed i was thinking cayuga but i wanted to here if use had any good experience something that wont breed a tone or isnt a serious clocker like the muscovy so I can control the breeding a bit better

Thanx
@Miss Lydia thank you. I have 3 cayuga. 2 black and 1 blue. I really enjoy them. They are friendly, pretty, and good foragers. My cayugas lay a egg everyday and they haven't been breeding recently, since it is winter so breeding season isn't until spring-summer. I mainly breed mine and have them for exhibitor/show but they make pretty good additions to the flock and are quite docile. The drake is not loud but my 1 female is loud.

@Miss Lydia thank you. I have 3 cayuga. 2 black and 1 blue. I really enjoy them. They are friendly, pretty, and good foragers. My cayugas lay a egg everyday and they haven't been breeding recently, since it is winter so breeding season isn't until spring-summer. I mainly breed mine and have them for exhibitor/show but they make pretty good additions to the flock and are quite docile. The drake is not loud but my 1 female is loud.
Thanx
I'm going to do more research on them but It will b a few months til i get them anyways

Back
Top Bottom