New duckies!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by halfwaynowhere, Jun 17, 2010.

1. halfwaynowhere

halfwaynowhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    La Puente, CA
    I picked up my first ducks today, 3 two week old mallards. My mom and I had been talking about getting ducks, and she called me from the feed store last week to let me know they had some ducklings. So when I went there, they had been reserved by someone else, but they took my number and said they'd call when they got more in. So today, I got the call, turns out the guy that was going to be buying them changed his mind, so I brought home 3 little ducks!

I do have a few silly questions, though- How can I tell them apart? And how can I tell their sex? I'm sure I'll be able to tell them apart as I get to know them more, but I'm impatient, and I want to name them already!

Also, they are really shy. Will they warm up if I'm patient with them? I've read its best to get them as young as possible and handle them from the start, even a few weeks can make them shy for life- is that true? They are pets, so I'd like them to be friendly.

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Patience and treats will warm them up to you. HINT: Peas are like crack for ducks.

As for sex, in a couple of weeks they will either develop a loud quack or a whispery peep. The loud ones are the girls.

If you want to name them now, just pick unisex names. I have done that. I had a duck named Uno and another one named Bungie. I also had a duck named JJ. We figured it if was a boy it would be Jack Jr. (the dad was named Jack). If it was a girl, it would be Janet Jr. (mom was named Janet). It turned out to be a Janet Jr.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  3. halfwaynowhere

halfwaynowhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    La Puente, CA
    So I've been going out and spending time with them a few times each day, and just sitting by them, with my hand near them. I was able to get two of them to just sit still while i pet them for a few minutes, while the other one decided to stand in his/her water bowl and peep at me. I've been giving them greens as treats, they seem interested in them, but i generally have to just leave them in their dish and walk away. Still, its only been two and a half days, so I guess I just have to be patient. Gonna pick up some frozen peas next time i go to the store, too. any other treat ideas?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by