New Duckies

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by leahms20, Apr 13, 2012.

1. leahms20

leahms20 New Egg

Apr 13, 2012
    About 2 weeks ago I brought home 2 yellow ducklings and 6 chickies (not sure what kind of ducks) and now they are about 4 weeks old. I was given 2 more ducklings today (little brown and yellow babies once again no idea what breed) I can't put them outside right now because it is still way to cold so they are inside. However, I have limited space inside and they are in a large tote right now. I put the new ducklings in with all of the others and the bigger ducks keep grabbing them by the feet, beak and head. is this just a I am boss thing that will not hurt the new ducks or should I seperate the bigger ducks because they are trying to hurt the new ducks?

2. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    I have a mixed age flock, and each time a new group was added the would get picked on at first. Just watch to make sure they dont get injured. More than likely they are doing like my ducklings and chicks did and are creating a pecking order. the older ones are basically telling the younger ones they are there first and are in charge.

3. leahms20

leahms20 New Egg

Apr 13, 2012
    Oh good I hope that is all it is. Even the chicks are picking on the poor babies. Oh and do you know if ducks can have the same grit as chickens....the one tha I have says its good for all poultry....a friend said that you were not allowed to do that

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    yes they can have the same grit, but I would not put young duckling in with older ones they cannot protect themselves and will get injured. totes are not expensive and they need on of their own. once they get a little older or you have time when you can watch let them all be together on nutural ground so to speak and let them get use to each other. they can form the pecking order when the y all go outside and your tiny ones are better able to protect themselves.

5. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    Yes they can have the same grit. Personally I dont give store bought grit because our property is all 90% sand 10% dirt. So the chicks and ducks get their grit from the ground.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by