1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New duckings! Pic heavy!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kada6305, Mar 19, 2013.

1. kada6305

kada6305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Kersey, Pennsylvania
    went to TSC and left with two Khaki's, they are 2 weeks old and so scared :( hopefully they will see me handling and treating the mallards with love and care and not be so afraid. The khakis dont know how to swim, poor babies :( they watched my mallards swim when i had them all in the bathrub and started dunking their heads and kicking their feet really fast trying to swim but would either slowly move backwords (looks more like just floating backwards) or not move at all haha. oh well, they will learn! here are some pictures of my 5 ducklings. They khakis are only about 4 days older than my mallards and huge!

[​IMG]
    swimming in the bathtub :)

[​IMG]
    everyone is getting along now and are sleeping

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    first meeting...the mallards kept pecking at their eyes!

[​IMG]
    "If I stand tall he cant reach my face!"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kada6305

Mar 13, 2013
    Kersey, Pennsylvania
    how warm should the brooder be at 2 weeks? here are some more pictures of them tonight!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    since I now have 5 instead of 3 duckings had to upgrade on the water container :) I cut 4 holes for them

3. kada6305

Mar 13, 2013
    Kersey, Pennsylvania
    Forgot to mention mallards are no11 days old and khakis are 15 days old.

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Well Storey's guide says to start at 95 for the first two days then to lower it to 90 for the remainder, then lowering it 5-7 each successive week. If ducklings are of larger breed you can count on being able to lower it 1F per day until no extra heat is needed.

I basically watched my birds and gave an option of being under it or not, when i saw they were no longer using it i took it away of coarse there are many variables, what temp the space there in is, what wattage the bulb and so forth.

Cute babies!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  5. kada6305

Mar 13, 2013
    Kersey, Pennsylvania
    Okay the temp is anywhere between 80-90 mostly around 85, it drops to 80 at night.

6. kada6305

Mar 13, 2013
    Kersey, Pennsylvania
    Well the khaki are scared of us but managed to hold both of them( one at a time) for a few minutes they are friendly just scared...give me 2 weeks and they'll be fine :D

7. Snownoir

Snownoir Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2012
    Arlington Texas
    They are just SO cute!!! I want some, now. My girl needs to hurry along those babes in their eggs!

I love the waterer idea. So simple and so effective, I'm sure.

8. kada6305

Mar 13, 2013
    Kersey, Pennsylvania
    I'm banned from going to TSC from my boyfriend now LOL but yeah this idea works so much better, we used to have smaller one no lid...BIG MESS! Ohh new babies?! Can't wait to see!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by