new duckling almost drown by older one

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bent Fork Farm, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Bent Fork Farm

Bent Fork Farm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2013
    I picked up this duckling today , the woman who sold "sqeaky" to me said she was ready to stay outside and it should be no problem introducing her to our other ducks. Once this ducky got into the pond, the larger, older pekin grabbed her neck and tried to drown her! Help...how do I integrate all of them together so there is no fighting or drowning?

[​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    You do it slowly, never put a duckling out with other ducks it has never met, they look at it as an intruder, put the duckling in some sort of dog crate or separate part of the duck house so it can see the locals and they can see it, then gradually over the course of a few days to possibly a couple of weeks you let them get use to each other. But not in the pond. Drake pekin or duck? although ducks can be mean as drakes when it comes to newbies.

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    So "Squeaky" is a female? Your male Pekin may have been trying to mate her and showing dominance as well. I guess introducing her like many do with chickens might work. Try setting something up so that they can see each other but not hurt each other. (Like a chicken wire fence maybe) Then supervise encounters at first where they can actually touch each other. I know this is easier said than done, but I can't really think of a different way. Maybe others will have more suggestions.

4. Bent Fork Farm

Bent Fork Farm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2013
    I am not sure if sqeaky is a female or male...how do I tell?

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Drakes make raspy quacky sounds like they have a cold, ducks quack loud. or you could wait till she lays and egg or doesn't. Is squeaky a pekin? if so then at around 5-6 months old it will get feather at the base of it;s tail that curl that will mean squeaky is a boy[drake]
    picture of pekin drake notice drake feather curled at base of tail. http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...CC9F03F85F8B4D57C5BC0E6D60614&selectedIndex=0

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by