New duckling - Foot troubles!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by aleanamarie, Mar 5, 2017.

1. aleanamarie

aleanamarie Just Hatched

Feb 26, 2017
    Banner Elk, NC
    Good morning! Yesterday morning I assisted my duckling that had pipped and was on the 3rd of no progress. I had a successful hatch, no blood, but his legs were shakey (more than normal) and he couldn't prop himself up at all, on could lay on his side because his feet were shaking. Yesterday, he was offered water with electrolytes and scratch, via medicine dropper, and dish... Hard to tell if he took any in, but hopeful. He has pooped, so that's a good sign. Here is my question:
    His left foot is perfectly fine, the right is turned inward, like it seems like that bone may be bent, not the webbing[​IMG]. I will add a photo for reference. Please help or any advice is appreciated.

2. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Is it getting around now that its had time to recover from the hatch?
    If not, I think you can make a little ducky foot brace and straighten it out a bit to get it going the right direction.
    I've not had to do one, but I'm pretty sure I've seen posts over the years here with some types of splints you could try.

3. aleanamarie

aleanamarie Just Hatched

Feb 26, 2017
    Banner Elk, NC
    He is!!! We made a brace and he is doing wonderfully. We even got him a little buddy [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by