New Duckling Leg/Foot Injury?

DuckDuckSook

Songster
Jan 20, 2020
Southeastern PA
My Coop
My Coop
Hello Friends!
I posted earlier about my ducklings laying down quite often and one duckling seems to be laying down more than her sisters. I tried to take a photo of her feet/legs to see if you think they look okay or if she has some sort of injury. She walks around for a few steps and then sits down. I don't know how to help. Thanks.
PXL_20210307_165639951.jpg

PXL_20210307_165657892.jpg

I would recommend getting a video of just that one duckling walking.

@Isaac 0 is the extremely knowledgeable on ducks and will be able to tell you if there is anything to worry about and what is likely going on
Okay. I tried my best to get a video of her walking. She takes a few steps here and there but then she lays down. She does this in the brooder too. I'm hoping she isn't hurting. Should I give the ducklings a swim in the bathtub to help her? Would she need a splint or supports of some kind? I can't tell. Near the end of the video, she walks upright a few steps and lays back down.

Also, as mentioned in my other post, I was thinking niacin deficiency maybe. The ducklings are eating Purina Flock Raiser and I put 1 tbsp. of Now brand nutritional yeast in one cup of food. I'm wondering if that isn't enough. I have Niacin capsules 100mg Blue Bonnet brand arriving today and I was going to put that into their water.

Okay. I tried my best to get a video of her walking. She takes a few steps here and there but then she lays down. She does this in the brooder too. I'm hoping she isn't hurting. Should I give the ducklings a swim in the bathtub to help her? Would she need a splint or supports of some kind? I can't tell. Near the end of the video, she walks upright a few steps and lays back down.
My ducklings did rest a lot, but I feel like they ran around more between rests. Also I feel that your duckling's webs aren't opening as much as my ducklings did when walking. I went back and watched a video of my ducklings to compare your video to since I haven't had babies for 6 years.

Unfortunately, I don't know what to do about it. And if another member with more duckling experience says it is completely normal I would believe them.

@Aunt Angus has babies right now. Maybe she'll be able to compare walking better than I can.

Also, as mentioned in my other post, I was thinking niacin deficiency maybe. The ducklings are eating Purina Flock Raiser and I put 1 tbsp. of Now brand nutritional yeast in one cup of food. I'm wondering if that isn't enough. I have Niacin capsules 100mg Blue Bonnet brand arriving today and I was going to put that into their water.
I have heard that niacin deficiency can cause leg issues in ducklings, but I have never experienced it. It seems like a good place to start.

I know that Mazuri waterfowl starter is supposed to have enough if you can get ahold of that. Some members order it through chewy. It might be easier to just give a food instead of a food and a supplement. Plus, if you give what vets recommend as the ideal food for ducks you are probably avoiding other nutrition issue as well.

My ducklings did rest a lot, but I feel like they ran around more between rests. Also I feel that your duckling's webs aren't opening as much as my ducklings did when walking. I went back and watched a video of my ducklings to compare your video to since I haven't had babies for 6 years.

Unfortunately, I don't know what to do about it. And if another member with more duckling experience says it is completely normal I would believe them.

@Aunt Angus has babies right now. Maybe she'll be able to compare walking better than I can.
I'm not an expert (having owned ducklings for a grand total of 2 months now), but my Runner was running around at that stage. Your super cute extremely adorable baby does seem to be reluctant to walk and sits back on its legs quite a bit. My Runner's feet are turn in a lil more compared to my less upright standing breeds, but it looks like your ridiculously sweet little one's right leg is somewhat turned in.

If it is niacin deficiency, that's pretty easy to fix, if I'm understanding correctly. Just up their niacin intake. I imagine adding it to the water would be a good way to go so you know it's getting ingested.

I'm interested to see what others say. And the sticky thread index at the top of the duck forum has lots of info about it, too.

Thought I'd mention that swimming time (my ducks call it "swimminsss" time) is great fun and exercise for them, but such tinies won't swim, really, they'll just walk in the water. I don't know if it will help. But - again - not even close to claiming expertise...

I don't have video of my lil duckies specifically walking at that age, but here they are swimming the day after I received them. You can kinda see my Runner walking around in the tub. She's the lightest colored one:

So the duckling looks like it has a curled foot. You can tape the foot with making tape or painters tape to hold it in place. I believe it can be fixed a few days. There was a thread on here recently where they talked about. I can't find it.

Here is an older one.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/day-old-ducklings-feet-are-curled-under.50180/

Swimming can help them strengthen their legs while not being strained. If it has having a hard time walking this would be beneficial. You will get the most benefit from it if they can touch the bottom and must float. Either way they love swimming and it can't hurt. Just make sure the water is warm.

Back
Top Bottom