New duckling owner needing advice

kayray89

In the Brooder
Feb 25, 2016
Hi. I'm new to the duck-raising thing and would appreciate some advice. I have two duckling Indian runners (Echo and Zola) They are just over 4 weeks old. The past day or so we have noticed that Echo seems to be a bit lethargic and Zola has a little bit of a limp.

At the moment both are kept inside in a makeshift pen (1 meter by 2 meters)with a sheet as their flooring, half a pet carrier with hay at the base to use as a nest, a waterer, a food bowl and a paint roller tray for them to swim in. I take them into a temporary pen that's outside for about an hour or more a day so they can forage and be ducks. I think they are still a little too small to leave out there unsupervised or for lengthy periods. I feed them starter feed as well as some veggies like kale, peas, corn, fresh beans and occasionally mashed banana as a treat. I've started to put Apple cider vinegar in their water thinking that might help and I've been searching high and low for some Brewers yeast to stick in their feed. I clean their waterer, food bowl and swimming tray everyday. Sometimes twice a day and change their bedding every second day. It's been pretty hot and humid here lately 30 degrees celcius (I'm in Queensland, Australia) and at times I have found them drifting off to sleep in their swimming tray (they can always touch the bottom and get in and out easily)

I'm just really hoping that they are ok. I hate to think that I'm not doing something that could potentionally really harm them.

There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around the run. X2 on Yorkshire coop advice.

I don't know much about ducks but, have heard often that they can have a niacin deficiency which causes problems with legs etc. Please do post on the Duck thread were they know about such things and how to treat them.

Thanks. I have posted on the duck thread and it could be niacin deficiency. One duckling has really perked up and seems to be back to normal. The other not so much. But thanks for advice :)

welcome-byc.gif

I'm glad you found the duck forum and one of your Runners is better. Hope the other one is perkier soon.

Best of luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom