~New Duckling Question~

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LadyBirdsPalace, Jul 12, 2011.

1. LadyBirdsPalace

LadyBirdsPalace Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    UpNorth
    Hello there!

My first incubating attempt and I have a mixed hatch with ducks, chicks and turkeys and this AM, DAY 27, I woke up to this sweetheart,

[​IMG]

With 3 others doing all kinds of pipping.

My question is that since most will be arriving hopefully tommorrow and/or the day afterwards hopefully, is it OK to leave him/her in there? I know it's perfectly OK to leave chicks and turkeys in the incubator for 2 to 3 days after hatching throughout lockdown but that's till OK for a duckling right? I can't believe I didn't think to ask this until now...

THANK YOU!

2. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I dont know but it kinda looks like a F/W runner

3. LadyBirdsPalace

Jun 20, 2011
    UpNorth
    This little fella is a Buff Mallard, my others hatching are Welsh. So excited!

Do you know whether they are fine in the incubator with everyone else for a couple days?

4. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I wouldn't leave him in there after he's all fluffed up(unless you see another one on the verge of hatching).
    I'm not a huge proponent of leaving them in the incubator for days. Once their fluffed, into the brooder they go.
    Put a mirror or stuffed animal in there with him so he has company until his buddies hatch out.

5. LadyBirdsPalace

Jun 20, 2011
    UpNorth
    Well a second one just hatched, and a third will be soon...guess I'll wait until those 3 fluff up and pull them out quickly? I won't hurt eveyone else that's in lockdown if I am super fast?

The first one was already picking on #2.

6. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    They can go about 2 days without food or water. That's why they can be shipped through the mail. The ducklings will be OK for a day or two in the hatcher.

7. LadyBirdsPalace

Jun 20, 2011
    UpNorth
    Thank you Oregon Blues!

8. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I tend to pull fluffy warm babies out of the incubator twice a day during a large hatch. Leaving them in longer, they tend to mess with the other eggs and wreak havoc, causing much more damage than the temporary drop in humidity and temp from opening. Any that are still damp get left in. The bator gets so humid once they start coming out of the eggs, that it really hasn't caused me any problems.

Some do leave them up to two days, though, so if that's your choice it should work fine for you. Longer than that is asking for weak & hungry babies.

9. LadyBirdsPalace

Jun 20, 2011
    UpNorth
    Thank you iamcuriositycat.

Yes it is quite humid in there, I am thinking it's gonna take them all day to dry - haha! But it's exactly like you said, they wreak havoc, they are all over the place! I'm thinking I will do that as I do have a large batch, and tomorrow I should hopefully start getting some chicks so I would like to make a little room if I can.

10. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    Washington
    I give the first one a day or so in the incubator, but not longer. They don't usually really fluff out until I pull them anyway. Although they can go for a day or two without food and water, they will eat and drink right off and tend to thrive better if they can. I agree they tend to mess up the other eggs and flop all over. I'd wait until the current group is hatched and pull them quickly. They'll do better and not make such a mess. That's just my own experience and opinion. [​IMG]

You certainly could leave them if you want though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by