New Duckling Questions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckieLover8, Mar 12, 2017.

1. DuckieLover8

DuckieLover8 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2015
    Hello, I am about to order some ducklings from Ideal Poultry and I had a few questions. I am getting two ducks, and I was wondering if it would be okay to get one of each breed, or if I would have to get two of the same. I want to make sure that the ducks will be happy (and I wanted to be able to tell them apart [​IMG]). Also, if you have any tips on raising them, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. QuackSpeak

QuackSpeak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2017
    Hello! [​IMG]

I'm not sure about Ideal Poultry, but I ordered from Metzer's and got three of different breeds. I think Ideal Poultry will probably let you mix and match too. Ducklings of different breeds get along fine.
    Um, some tips... They need enough water to dunk their bills in (To clean their nares - the holes in their bills). I would put their waterer on top of some sort of tray so you don't get their bedding wet. Hold them as often as you can so that they will be tame adults. Talk to them, pet them, give them lots and lots of treats. Sometimes, they go through a phase where they become scared of everything around them, lol - including you. Patience and some time will remedy this.
    Have fun with your ducks and feel free to ask questions!

3. QuackSpeak

Jan 1, 2017
  4. DuckieLover8

Jan 26, 2015
    Thank you!!! [​IMG]

5. QuackSpeak

Jan 1, 2017
    You're welcome! What breeds are you getting?

6. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    If you don't have ducks already, consider getting three. That way if something happens to one, you still have a pair instead of lonely duck

7. DuckieLover8

Jan 26, 2015
    Would you use a few tablespoons of honey in a day old duckling's water? I read about it in Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks (2nd edition). It said that this could be used to help them regain their strength after a tough journey. I wanted to make sure that it would be safe for them. I have only raised ducklings from 3 weeks, so I am trying to figure out what to do! [​IMG]

8. DuckieLover8

Jan 26, 2015
    Oh, and I am getting a Cayuga and a Khaki Campbell

9. QuackSpeak

Jan 1, 2017
    Cute! Cayugas are beautiful ducks, and I loved their temperaments! And I've heard nothing but good about Campbells!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  10. QuackSpeak

Jan 1, 2017
    I'd think that would be okay! I've never tried it, but I think Storey's is pretty reliable... You might want to try a pinch of sugar as well! However, my mail-order ducklings did fine without either [​IMG]
    Whatever you feel comfortable with [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by