New duckling with splay legs - advice please!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Gypsy07, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I have a one day old duckling - last one to hatch, still in the bator fluffing up - with splayed legs. Not too bad, but bad enough she's just not quite right. She gets her feet under herself then one of them slips out to the side. The hatching tray of my bator is plastic mesh, and it's always been fine for chicks, but obviously ducklings have bigger flatter feet and I now realise it's probably not ideal for them. I'll know next time!

Anyway, this duckling. Once I caught her doing the full splits, I slapped a sticky plaster on her legs straight away to hold them together. But now she is mostly just lying out flat with her legs behind her, and having trouble standing or even sitting up. I keep picking her up and sitting her upright but I'm not even sure I've got the plaster in the right place. On chicks it always looks as if it's higher up the leg than I've got it, but I don't want to put the plaster over her fluff.

I was hoping someone might have a photo I could compare mine with...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by