New duckling

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by InnocentPerfect, Aug 14, 2014.

1. InnocentPerfect

InnocentPerfect New Egg

Aug 14, 2014
    Hello,

I have had several generations of ducks, but have never had this situation. So if someone could help me, I would so much appreciate it!

My mallard hens have hatched a duckling. But they won't really let it our to see us, and as were going to keep it, I want to make sure it's used to us. But I don't want to take it away and risk hurting the baby. Our the moms.

The first hem that had ducklings was very friendly and though she kept up with all of her babies she let us hold them all the time. But the last hen was more like the hen I have now and we found some dead in her nest after we had tried and I so don't want that to happen again.

Any advice?

2. farm316

farm316 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2014
    What are you planning to do with the little duckling??? Do you want to sell it? If you think that the duckling needs to be handled, does mom feel comfortable with you walking around her in the nest? If mom doesn't mind you going near the nest try petting her and talking to her, at that same time pull out the little baby and just pet it in front of mom so that she knows that you aren't going to hurt her little baby...

3. farm316

farm316 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by