New Ducklings 1 is different what is it?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by GraceHomestead, Jun 24, 2016.

1. GraceHomestead

GraceHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2016
    Hello everyone,
    I have moved in to take care of my dad and he lives on the 57acre farm my GGrandparents bought many years ago! (Used to be 200acres) it has been a nonworking farm for many years due to my dads health. I tend to change that little by little! At the moment I am converting an OLD horse trailer into a Chicken Coop. (No chickens yet) I have also made a 4x8 chicken tractor for the guineas (got 5 today) to eat the hundreds of thousands of ticks we have :/ ugh!!!! working on converting an old playhouse into their coop.

We have two ponds on the property but they need work! One is covered in moss and cattails and the other was cleaned out 20 years ago and has never held water good...we plan on putting hogs in the pond to see if that clogs the leak. Oops sorry I got carried away lol

To add I was raised in the city, I am a country girl through in through! As soon as I graduated I moved far from the city I hated so much!! The country life calls me!! For the past three years we have only had horses!! The time has come to jump into some other animals.

So today My husband brought home 5, 12 day old ducklings. The man said they were Pekin ducklings but 1 is different then the other 4.
    It is yellow, with black feet, a black bill, tail and strip down its head. It is a tad smaller then the others and quite fast!! He literally attacked the water full force when I put it in their make shift night box. (50gal tote with a waterproof pad, pine shavings, free range 20% starter and water)
    So does anyone know what breed it will be?! And do you have any pointers for us?! They are VERY scared & jumpy . Thanks so much!! Shaina in KY[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Welshies

Welshies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Handle them lots. Talk to them a lot so they get used to your voice, and when they are a few weeks older if they still refuse to eat out of your hand...
    You have to wait until you only give them food at certain times for this, but grab one gently at the base of the neck to steady it in place and put the food in your hand close enough that it's touching its bill. It should nibble. Then usually they get the idea and start being hand fed.
    This one might be a cross. I have seen ducklings like that before though! I'll be right back to tell ylu what it is :D

3. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    It looks like a Muscovy duckling.

4. GraceHomestead

GraceHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2016
    Thank you! I will keep talking to them, can't help too!! lol ;) my 6yr old talks to them as well, he wants to name them but I am unsure what sex they are.
    Thanks for the info on hand feeding, I def want them to be used to us and not afraid.

5. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    You're welcome! If you hand feed them treats too, they love peas and grapes, fruits and vegetables. Just make sure they have grit and it is cut up!
    I named mine gender-neutral names. For example, Red had a red leg band on, so I could have called Red if he'd been a female too. I also have one named Silver, one named Storm, and one named Pinky. They go either way!
    You can also wait until they are 4-8 weeks, the females should start quacking around then. :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by