New ducklings - advice please

mrscb

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 21, 2013
Hi
Today I have bought two 4 week old Aylesbury Ducklings - they weren't kept in the best conditions if I'm honest they had no access to water and were being kept in a courtyard with a dog barking at them all day/night

If got them home given them a bath and they look 100% better - but whilst bathing them it was very clear they had never been in water and I'm not sure that they can't swim

What it the best way to teach my little ducks to swim xx

:)

Luke 13V34

Chirping
5 Years
May 25, 2015
Ducks can swim at birth. Put them in/near a big bowl of water or something and they will figure it out. As long as the water isn't too cold
bun.gif

Amiga

Overrun with Runners
11 Years
Jan 3, 2010
Southern New England
At four weeks, it is no surprise that they don't swim - it actually can take a while since they had no opportunity before, and they would not yet be fully feathered.

I would give them daily opportunity, in warmish water (about 80F or 25C), water level just up to their bellies so they can easily stand, or float if they lift their legs. But they won't be able to completely shed water till they have all their feathers and they are nicely oiled up with their own oil glands.

I have read research that says the sooner ducklings are allowed to be in water, the sooner they will start preening, so yours may catch up quickly.

That said, each duck makes up his or her own mind on things - so we will have to see how it turns out.

Have you seen the Raising Ducklings sticky?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

Top Bottom