New ducklings and gosling - advise needed!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Miss Beaky, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Miss Beaky

Miss Beaky Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2014
    Hi, I already have 4 ducks (5months) and 9 chickens (5/6 months), yesterday we received another 3 ducklings and a gosling. The 4 little ones get on great but my chickens and ducks are not liking the additions. They are very brutal with them. I have put the young ones in an enclosure away from the rest. All my ducks and chickens are free range but insist on hanging around the younger ones enclosure. How can I get them all to get along?? My chickens and ducks have always been together and will never leave one another and are very close - I would love for them all to get along.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Breathe. [​IMG] Prepare for the long haul. Keeping the littles separate, but visible for now is great.

Try giving treats at the same time, spend time with them all, mix up who gets what space sometimes.

When the littles are about as big as the adults, try some supervised together time. Anything more than a little poking and chasing and I split them up (we have done introductions twice now).

3. Miss Beaky

Miss Beaky Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2014
    Thanks for the advice -will try that. Sounds like a great idea! Fingers crossed :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by