New ducklings born 5/27 - Injured duckling!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Goat_Walker, May 29, 2010.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Well I had 8 /30 ducklings hatch yesterday.
    Im giving the other eggs more time to hatch since they are prolly scovie cross eggs. They came from a nest that had been scattered and destroyes by my scovie drkae so i didnt expect many to hatch anyway.

Ill have pictures up later! ( but yall know how i am with pictures.. lol )

ANYWHO ! I have a duckling that isnt doing so well. She has a bad leg, and cant walk without falling over. Her leg/foot vibrates really fast as well.
    Will a bootie from Nettie fix this? I plan on emailing her and seeing if i can get a pair from her. The foot doesnt like to stay open so she leans on it and it curves under .

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Had a duckling with a leg that looked deformed 3 days ago. It was kind of bend in and it could not walk on it. I also had a weak one yesterday that was shaking the leg and could not walk either. Same batch of eggs. It was a hard hatch with very thick membranes. You can help by giving it vitamin/electrolyte water with a little bit sugar in it. It did it with both ducks every couple of hours. The one with the bend in foot is fine, I can't even tell which one it was. The other one with the twitch had to say overnight in the incubator, but I applied the same supplement. It was still weak this morning without any twitches in the foot. It was also able to walk still not that stable. Today, I added food mush to the regime and she is now up and running. The duckling may not be injured but just weak in some parts. I would put it first on the healthy routine and see what happens in two day.
    Katharina

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Does the leg seem normal otherwise- Can you straighen it out? I thought maybe a slipped tendon could be the problem - it sometimes happens with a more difficult hatch. A duckling with a slipped tendon may not be able to extend the leg from the hock- and will hold the toes clenched up.

4. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    he can extend it fine - its just leaning inward and he cant put much weight on it or he falls over. The foot seems weak and when it vibrates it is very violent.

5. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Thats a relief...At least there is some hope of recovery then.... I once used little sticky pads to keep the foot open on a duckling who couldnt seem to keep its toes spread. I got some sticky foam pads meant for human feet ( calouses and corns ) and cut them down in size a bit. They were sticky enough to keep the foot spread out- but were still able to be taken off fairly easily. After about three days the little one was walking completely noormally- I left the sticky pads on for about a week though- The duckling was fine in the end- but it always had one bent toe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by