New ducklings! But, what are they?

ChristinaMae

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 30, 2009
Gig Harbor, Wa
I went to the feed store the other day to check see if they had or would be getting any of the chicken breeds my mom wanted (they didn't and they won't). I came home with 6 chicks for myself, and 3 ducklings! We were told the tan one was a khaki campbell, but I have no idea what the other two are. Anyone have any guesses? I'm assuming the yellow one is the common white duck everyone always seems to have (well, maybe not here, haha, but in general - what a non-duck person thinks of when they think of a duck), but I don't know what that breed is. Hmmm, can you tell I'm a duck newbie?
lol.png

My new babies:
4414978379_cabb8e9df3_m.jpg

Your right about the Kahki Campbell. The one on the far left is a Pekin, or "the white duck". The one on the right could be a mallard or a rouen. My guess would be rouen, because most stores around me don't sell mallards.

Pekin, Khaki & mallard/rouen.
My feed store sells mallards,but not rouens, so it just depends on where you live.
You can call the feedstore and ask them where they order from. That might give you an idea.

I'm pretty sure they came from Privett Hatchery. I over heard one of the clerks telling another customer. I didn't ask them what breeds they were because they were having a hard time figuring out the chicken breeds.
lol.png
I had another customer help pick out my EE chicks when they tried to give me a different breed. I only knew the Khaki Campbell because it belonged to one of the clerks, and was sold to us accidently. (We did offer to give it back, btw - or rather, we tried to convince my 7 year old to give it back, but she started crying and the girl told us we could keep it.)

I'm hoping for Rouen (how do you pronounce that?)- they don't fly, right, but Mallards do? Crossing my fingers for a drake, they sure are pretty!

Thanks for your help, guys! Apparently I managed to get the breeds I wanted without even trying, haha. Now I just need a runner duck. Or maybe not, 3 ducks might be enough!
lol.png

It's a rouen. It has 2 eye stripes. Mallards have one stripe and instead of the second stripe there is a dot or a smudge.

Here is a picture of the rouen I got from Privett....

1003056s.jpg

Here is Bungie's baby picture...
1002472.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom