1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Ducklings - Help, please!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MrsKemmerlin, Jun 29, 2011.

1. MrsKemmerlin

MrsKemmerlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Round O, SC
    Okay, so some of you may or may not know how I acquired my adorable little duckies, but a friend of mine found them locked in a cooler and left in 100+ degree weather [​IMG] There are three, and I'm certain they are Muscovy - and holy cow they are cute, cute, cute! They were a little shooken up from the events earlier in the day so I set the brooder back up, showed them the food and water and let them get some rest. They were of course dehydrated so I was extremely pleased when they kept going to and from the water dish between naps. They munched a little on food, but I was more concerned about them getting water into their systems first.

Beaks & Noses: Two of the three had what looked like scabs on their beaks, which I figured was from someone catching them or biting them? Well, the first one's went away, peeled off just like any other scab would and now has a perfect little beak! But the other... in my opinion, doesn't seem to be getting any better. It actually looks like it has broken open again. And there is another little area that is having some problems. Would it be possible to put some triple antibiotic cream on it, or is that no good for them? Also, I was wondering what a good antibiotic would be for them overall. I'd like to run them through a course because I've noticed some wet nostrils, almost like a runny nose. The one with the scabby beak is the worst, poor baby. I've also noticed with one of them that the beak has changed colors, if that makes sense. It's gone from the cute peachy color to almost a bruised color. But the color isn't on top, it's a muted color, but it still wasn't there when they first came in. Any ideas on any of this?

Poop: One is having very loose poop. As in, projectile when it's going and it sounds like a ketchup bottle. They have plenty of water, they have plenty of sand to munch on, and they have access to food 24/7... they were on medicated chick starter, which I took them off of last night because I kept seeing it wasn't good for them. I gave them some grower/finisher that I have for the chickens, is this a better option? I got the response before that Flock Raiser is what I should use, but didn't know if grower/finisher would work in the meantime... Could the medicated feed be what was causing all of the runny noses and loose stool?

I'm going to Tractor Supply tonight to get them some niacin, was hoping I would get a response on the antibiotics so I could pick some up, was going to look at the selection of vitamins, and anything else that might be suggested to help these little babies...?

Thank you in advance for any info, I was just kind of thrown into duckies - but gracious, I wouldn't trade their cute little butts for anything now that I've got them! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  2. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    My first thought with the Poo thing was they were so dehydrated they did nothing but drink water and then... you know. .. poo problem.

My Grandpa was an old school farmer and he used to give his chicks and ducks a little bread soaked in milk at about 2-3 days old. I have noticed alot of people on here frown at the bread thing, (which I understand). My Grandpa used to say the milk gives their immune system a boost. So after doing some research on this I have found that milk is high in Niacin. Maybe that's the connection.

Now sure how else I can help. I can't believe someone would do that! Poor little duckies. At least they have you now!

3. MrsKemmerlin

Feb 14, 2011
    Round O, SC
    Quote:That did cross my mind, but I didn't know why only one would be having that problem since if one drinks, they all drink [​IMG]
    I think my biggest concern is the wet nose and beak problems... my chickens were no problem, these little guys - I'm a wreck [​IMG]

4. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

Im still learning too but u can get neosporin (Without pain relief) for his beak.. the phooo thing sounds normal especially for the circustances...lol
    and get the Vitamin/Electrolyte poultry pac... its cheap and u mix like 1/2 tsp per 2 gallons water... I use it ALOT....
    Poor babies.... STUPID HUMANS !!!!!! put THEM in a darn cooler.. arrrgghhhh

GOOD LUCK [​IMG]

5. Hattiegun

Duckie first aid kit supplies and ideas.
    I just bumped this post again... check it out for things u need and can use..good info here... !!

6. MrsKemmerlin

Feb 14, 2011
    Round O, SC
    Quote:Thanks so much! And I agree with you there! I'm just glad my friend, for whatever reason, went and looked in the cooler!

Will certainly be getting the neosporin tonight - do you know if there is there a certain antibiotic I can use for them? I could associate the runny nose with the damage to his/her beak, but I'd like to make sure it's not something respiratory.

I wish I could remember my camera when I leave the house... I took pictures of the little booger's nose [​IMG]

7. ChickyChickyBaby

ChickyChickyBaby Barefoot Bantams

As far as I know, the poop is normal. We have a few adults that do that - sound & all [​IMG] . Depends on how much water they have had, I guess.

Duck poop runny is normal says my resident duck wrangler.

We just started niacin with our last hatch, never had used it before, but my duck wrangling daughter learned of it and wanted to add it for the benefits.

We feed unmedicated chick starter always around here. To everything. Ducks should not have it medicated, and we often hatch and brood ducks & chicks together.

Flock raiser should be OK until you can get chick starter. I doubt I would do it long, but I have no clue what % protein it is.

I did have chicks pick on a lone duck once, I used polysporin on its beak first day, then switched to blu-kote to make it less noticeable to other ducks & chicks. But the polysporin worked good.

Our ducks, chicks & poults always get water the first day that contains sav-a-chik. Then we go to niacin water for the ducks.

You may want to check with Amy Nadine about the vitamins & such ....

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  8. MrsKemmerlin

Feb 14, 2011
    Round O, SC
    Quote:Glad everyone is saying the poo is normal! And what %s would you recommend staying between in feed at this point?

9. Hattiegun

around the 20% protein range for the first 2-3 weeks and drop to 16 %
    I feed a duck/goose/chick str @ 20% then I feed Purina duck grower @ 16% and when the girls lay i Leave out free choice oyster shell.. has worked well for me and then Im not switching feeds all the time.

10. MrsKemmerlin

Feb 14, 2011
    Round O, SC
    Quote:Will have to look when I go to the store tonight, if I'm not mistaken, I think I've got some feed at the house for my chickens that would do! [​IMG] Thank you again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by