New ducklings - Mama Duck Behavior

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 732delilah, Aug 17, 2013.

1. 732delilah

732delilah Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2013
    Poconos, Pennsylvania
    Could someone tell me please how long is a mama duck protective of her ducklings? The babies are a week old now and she charges at me whenever I go near them, change their water, etc. One got away from her and was starting to go under my deck so I rescued him (very gently and lovingly) and I thought she was going to kill me. It's very upsetting because before she had them she was the sweetest pet ever. Will she ever be the same? Also my drake seems very stressed and scared. His personality has completely changed since they have hatched. He doesn't bother the ducklings, only sometimes shooing them away if they get too close to him, but he seems very distressed with them around and he is not affectionate with us at all anymore. Is this normal? I only have the male and female and now three ducklings. I appreciate any input, thanks!

2. Mvpitzki

Mvpitzki Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2013
    Ducks are very protective when it comes to their ducklings. It might take a few weeks before she returns to being herself. Usually drakes will become agressive with ducklings even if they're theirs. It is probably stressed that the momma duck is not paying attention to him. This is all normal behavior when there are new hatchlings. Remember, you just have to give it time. I guess I'll be the first one to tell you this as I sure someone else will.....be sure to post pics as we all thrive on BYC with pictures of ducks. :)

3. 732delilah

732delilah Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2013
    Poconos, Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the info, I will post some pics of the little guys soon, if I can get close enough!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by