New ducklings, not eating or drinking...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by johari, Feb 22, 2014.

1. johari

johari Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2013
    [​IMG]

I picked these two up from TS today. They haven't eaten or drank anything since we brought them home. It has only been a few hours, I'm sure they will eventually... but what should I do if they don't?

So far they've just been hiding out in this little house that we put in there for them.

Also, I was told they were "like mallards, but won't fly." So no idea on breed really.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    If they are like Mallards and won't fly then they must be Rouens, have you showed them where the feed and water is? you might try dipping a bill into the water, but if you keep it nice and calm and softly lit they will come out and check everything out. Are you using a red heat light? much better than white for making them feel relaxed.

3. johari

Mar 30, 2013

Yes, I am using a red heat lamp. I have shown them where the food and water is. I think they are just kind of freaked out and need time to relax and adjust.

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Probably so, keep us updated on them and of course pics Congrats on the 2 littles they are adorable.

5. johari

Mar 30, 2013
    I love them. I'm such a sucker for a feathery face!

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Me too, they are just so sweet.

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I did gently hold each runner baby and dip its bill into a cup with lukewarm water when they first arrived. What kind of waterer do they have?

What kind of bedding are you using? They're not eating the bedding are they? (It's late, that was just a nightmare thought).

8. johari

Mar 30, 2013

They have a chick waterer. Though I'll put in a different one when they are older. Though a while ago I saw them eating and drinking. I think they're ok.

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It can take a while for them to get comfy, but it can be worrisome too, glad to hear they have started eating and drinking, here is a pic of a cheap waterer for ducklings, since they need to be able to dunk their heads but we want to keep them from being able to climb inside or splashing the water out all over their bedding,

[​IMG]just make sure the hole is larger enough for them to get their heads in but not large enough for them to get their little bodies in and as they grow of course you'll have to change container and hole size. be sure to keep the pics coming, don't get to see Rouen ducklings that often on BYC.

10. johari

Mar 30, 2013
    I have a jug waterer that I used when my other ducks were young. One that they can dip their heads in. I learned that trick on here. :) They seem to be a bit happier today, not completely freaked out anymore though still cautious.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by