New ducklings tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by fowlfriends, May 1, 2008.

1. fowlfriends

fowlfriends Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2007
    Battle Ground, Wa
    I can hardly contain myself![​IMG]

I get to go tomorrow to pick up my new Saxony ducklings from Holderreads! Just 4 babies, since I really do not need any more. These are my first, and likely only baby birds of the year.

Off to get things ready for them! Yay!

2. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Cool. Are these your first ducks? If they are good luck and a word of warning: Like chickens they are addicting. If you already have some then you already know that.

3. fowlfriends

Mar 12, 2007
    Battle Ground, Wa
    Yes, I am already an addict.[​IMG] These kids will be added to a mixed flock, and a lone muscovy hen (to be remedied soon, I hope!).

Pictures to come as soon as I get home tomorrow!

4. fowlfriends

Mar 12, 2007
    Battle Ground, Wa
    Well we all got home in one piece! 4 Saxony ducklings, just like I ordered - I ordered late, so am just thrilled to be able to get them! I had a credit left from last year, and asked they throw in one duckling of their choice to make up for the credit. I simply could not believe it when Dave's niece opened the box to show me the babies. Two extras, rather than one. A pair of Miniature Australian Spotteds!!!

So here they are, approx 2-3 days old now, and just too cute already. I had to temporarily pull them from the heat lamp for pictures, as the red light made them look just a bit odd.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The two Australian Spotteds are in the middle in this pic
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Cute Ducklings! But remove that newspaper NOW!!! Ducklings should never be brooded on a slippery surface. Either pine shavings or wire.
    Good Luck!
    [​IMG]

6. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    congrats. I would personaly put them on shavings (not cedar) so they can have some footing. they can't walk well on newspaper!! [​IMG]

7. fowlfriends

Mar 12, 2007
    Battle Ground, Wa
    Thanks for the gentle reminder SamG347 - a wire floor is what they belong on - I certainly dont want the little guys to have spraddled legs. I have them on the newspaper only until I get them eating. I guess it was wrong of me, but I just wanted them to find where the food is before putting in the pine shavings - these pictures are only about half an hour after getting them home.

I have a wire bottomed pen, but am not so sure its large enough for these guys to roam around.

8. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

precious, I love waterfowl

9. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    You could also use old towels for awhile then maybe sand if the wire cage is too small.

10. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    A good idea is to put paper towels on top of shavings in the brooder. They are awfuly cute little guys be sure to post lots of pics as they grow.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by