New ducklings with clogged nostrils

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by neener92, Feb 13, 2017.

1. neener92

neener92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    I purchased ducklings from metzer about a week ago, they were mailed out Monday and picked up Thursday..... They have been doing wonderful with the exception of losing one. I noticed a few with clogged nostrils and have been trying to dab them clean with a q-tip but it seems to come back quickly. They have a waterer they can stick there whole heads in so they shouldn't be getting clogged so I'm wondering if they might have something upper respiratory? I've had ducks for about 10 years and have had shipped ducklings and I've never seen this before. Just wondering if I might need to give them antibiotics or anything? I have rx baytril on hand but not sure the dosage for waterfowl.... any ideas?

Heat is where they are comfortable, food isn't dusty (mazuri starter). Brooder is cleaned twice daily...

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

try bathing them so they can really get the head dipping in a bath of water......Or an infection?

That I can not help with...

Cheers!

3. neener92

Aug 30, 2009
    I've bathed them a few times. [​IMG]

4. chickens really

Hmmmm?
    Ducklings usually do not get infections? Hmmmmm?
    I still think its a water, dust issue.......?

Cheers!

5. chickens really

Where are they brooded and what is the bedding?...... Humidity and dryness can cause issues......

6. neener92

Aug 30, 2009
    [​IMG]

Here's what I have them in ATM. I'm getting a bigger tub for them tomorrow... it is sorta dry in the house right now, 29% humanity...

7. chickens really

Small and possibly too warm......they need a cool spot to get out of the heat....Ducklings are not like Chicks.......Bouncer has no heat no more......he is alone and loves his brooder...

8. neener92

Aug 30, 2009
    I was wondering that so I raised the lamp as far as a could and they stay under it mostly...

9. chickens really

Sometimes they are a bit stupid and follow the light even if too warm.....lol.......Ducklings!!!

10. neener92

Aug 30, 2009
    Should o turn it off completely? It's 72 degrees in the house...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by