New ducklings

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by zMatt, Mar 31, 2016.

1. zMatt

zMatt New Egg

Jan 20, 2016
    Hey guys, need a little help/advice. We have chickens and Muscovy ducks, and just this morning one of our Muscovy duck eggs finally hatched. Our chickens and ducks live in the same coupe together. They free range but use the same coupe. My question is can I leave the duckling with the mother or should I it out and feed and water it myself. This is the first time we've had a duckling so we don't really know what to do. I just don't want one of the chickens doing something to it. Thanks in advance for the help.

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I'm afraid I'm not a duck person but please do pop by the duck section. Here is the link ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks
    I'm sure the duck keepers there will be able to help you. Congrats on your new ducking and enjoy BYC :frow

4. zMatt

zMatt New Egg

Jan 20, 2016
    Awesome thanks

5. cstronks

cstronks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC!!! Ducks and Chickens together - I like it.

I have zero experience in this field, but I am inclined to say that you should leave the duckling with the mother and monitor the situation closely. I don't see why the chickens would go after the duckling, but then again they may be curious. If they free range together, there is a better chance that they will find other things to occupy themselves with - but that is just a guess.

You could try and isolate mother and duckling also. Maybe carve out a spot for them where they are off limits to the rest of the flock.

I guess I just wouldn't want to separate the mother from the duckling unless I felt it was an absolute necessity. You could certainly take it out and raise it, but that might be additional work you don't need to do.

Keep us updated!

6. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

It's nice to have you here!

7. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

8. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    [​IMG]

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I would keep mama and duckling together but, away from the chickens. When the duckling is old enough and big enough (full size) I think chickens would no longer be a threat. I like to err on the side of caution because you never know what animals will do when given a chance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by