New ducklings!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Miss Ducky, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Miss Ducky

Miss Ducky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Michigan
    Today my aunt received a surprise in the mail-6 khaki Campbell ducklings that she had forgotten she ordered! [​IMG] She said that she would give 2 of them to me, as I was already looking forward to receiving two mature ducks from her. I will be keeping them as pets, and am so looking to taking them home! They are currently in a basket next to me, and I'm trying to imprint to me, as they are only one day old. Does anybody have any suggestions on ducklings bonding/imprinting? Also-these cute little buggers are going to need names! I think I will name one of them Peckers, or Beak or something like that because he has been pecking at EVERTHING! The other I'm thinking Houdini because he keeps on escaping! (Which in NOT good; there are about three hungry dogs in the house!! [​IMG]) But I would love to hear any name suggestions anyone has!

Thanks a heap!

2. Becky89*

Becky89* Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    pennsylvania
    I had two khaki Campbell ducklings the male was named Foreger cause they are good at that and the female was named Pincher cause when she was a duckling she always thought my finger was a worm.

3. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Imprinting is something that only happens in the minutes after hatching. You can tame them down to be very friendly, but no shipped ducklings are going to imprint to you.
    The secret to taming them down? Peas. Ducklings love peas. [​IMG]

And how about Kujo for the little biter? [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2010
  4. teresa-78

teresa-78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    Its got to be tudor.... like chewed da finger, chewed da dog ect ect lol..... prob not as funny when its written and not told lol [​IMG]

5. Miss Ducky

Jun 29, 2010
    Michigan
    Thanks everyone! I love the Tudor idea-it made me laugh! I love all the other names too! I'll post when I decide. I read on The goose mother's site that ducklings imprint on species after hatching, but won't recognize faces for a week. I'm really hoping that they imprinted on a human in the hatchery! [​IMG] My sweet auntie has decided to give me three of her chicks rather than two. They're so sweet! Though I had one of them on my shoulder, and he reached over and bit my lip! Gah. They all enjoy pecking at me, prob. to see if I have anymore food for them. (I've been spoiling them rotten!) I really must discourage that behavior.

I really must say, I'm in love already! [​IMG]

6. teresa-78

teresa-78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    Im glad you like tudor, and that you even got what I was on about lol [​IMG] I have some runner ducks, they 6 weeks old now, when they were smaller I use to put them in the bath, this was before they went outside, and I use to call "ducky ducky duckies" and drop peas in the bath, god they use to go mad.... well one day my partner went into the bathroom and called the same thing "ducky ducky duckies" lent over the bath and they jumped up and bit his eye (expecting peas they were) lol well he sprted a purple eye for a week.... was hilarious lol..... when people asked what happened he replied "I got bit by a duck" then I would pipe up "NO he got bit by a DUCKLING" it had people laughing lol... just thought I would share this with ya all.... still chuckle about it today [​IMG]

Good luck with your new arrivals, keep us posted with how they get along [​IMG]

7. thechickenguy

thechickenguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    woodsfield ohio 43793
    Quote:Well I got some ducklings from TSC about 2-3 WEEKS after hatching I think and they followed me EVERYWHERE!!!

8. Miss Ducky

Jun 29, 2010
    Michigan
    Poor thing...Duckling attacks are vicious, lol! [​IMG] I'm glad to hear about your ducklings, chickenguy! I was carrying mine around in a basket for a little while yesterday, and they would get all upset if I walked away to do something, and one of them would just up on the edge, so cute! I'll have to take a picture... I think that I might let them take a short swim today. It's kind of funny, when I give them treats, they will only take them from my hand. If I leave them in the pen or basket with them they won't touch it! g2g because I want to go see them!

9. Miss Ducky

Jun 29, 2010
    Michigan
    I ended up naming the smallest one Peanut. She(?) is so adorable and friendly! [​IMG] She loves to sit on my shoulder. I'm playing around with Ruckus and Mozart for the other two, and possibly Quack. Do you think Quack is too unoriginal? There is one that loves to sit on my head! It won't be as cute when they're fully grown... I've let them go swimming a few times, and they went diving! It was so cute! [​IMG] I'm thinking about letting them swim supervised in a medium sized pond I have in the backyard (So I don't have to clean the tub everyday), but do you think that they will swim to far from shore? Or should they stick close to me/the beach? I've also being playing with the idea of letting them in the shower with me so the can splash around, but I'm concerned that the soaps will be bad for them. What do you guys think? I liked the name Forager-thanks Becky! I might play around with that.

Thanks for everything!
    -Miss Ducky and her three new friends![​IMG]

10. chicken boy sam

chicken boy sam Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    POST PICTURES!!!!!! I wouldn't let them in the shower because the soaps would probably be pretty bad for there water-proof coat. [​IMG] the names!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by