New Ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by WinstonTweezers, Apr 29, 2011.

1. WinstonTweezers

WinstonTweezers Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    Got new ducklings 10 mins ago and i wonder how we get them to eat there is seed and water there and there not eating they look a little sleepy tho

2. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Seed? What kind of seed?

I started my ducklings on game fowl crumbles then chicken layer pellets when they were 20 weeks or so.

3. luvmydux

luvmydux Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Seed?? They should be getting starter duck food. Make sure there is a picture of a duck on the bag of food. Chick foods are medicated and not good for ducks.

4. WinstonTweezers

Apr 19, 2011
    the seed is called pro form poultry and there fast asleep now [​IMG]

5. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    pro form poultry starter is medicated and is not good for ducks. pro form has a starter specifically called duck and goose starter that is not medicated. I hope this is the one you are using. Their website lists the poultry formulas for various birds. good luck with your little ducklings. I'm sure they are very cute.

6. WinstonTweezers

Apr 19, 2011
    my mom says that when she bought it the lady said "we only have one bag of unmedicated food" and we got that bag

7. WinstonTweezers

Apr 19, 2011
  8. DurhamDuck

DurhamDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Durham, Connecticut
    When you first get ducklings (if they are shipped) you should gently dip their beaks into the water. That is what I do with each and every duckling I get for two reasons 1) show them the water and 2) make sure than get a good long drink after being shipped. I would feed them waterfowl feed, not seeds.

Good luck!!

9. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Since you got the unmedicated starter it should be fine; it is usually called crumble. Enjoy your ducklings![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by