New ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckncover, Feb 28, 2013.

1. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    I just got 2 khaki cambell ducklings from the tractor supply. They are 2 days old. I have a few questions to ask.

1. What can do to make them like me better?
    2. At what age will they be fully grown?
    3. How can I tell them apart? They're identical.

I plan on keeping them as pets. They will have a run outside during the day and come inside at night because we have stray cats. I ordered The Goose's Mother and Father's Baby diaper pack so it will be easier to keep them inside. They will be getting as much outside time as possible but come inside and wear diapers for family time. I have a dirt floor basement they can play in for indoor diaperless fun. I was originally going to get a goose but I seen these guys at the store and fell in love. [​IMG]

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    1. Just spend plenty of time with them and try bribing them with treats.
    2. As in fully feathered or actually breeding/laying eggs?
    3. You could try leg bands but if you end up with a pair you'll eventually be able to tell them apart by their voice and plumage.

3. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    I have a large sturdy dog coop that I was going to use as their outdoor shelter when their grown. I'm going to build a run onto it. I was also thinking about putting up some nontoxic shrubs around the run so that my neighbors won't complain. I was thinking about going to my 4 local neighbors and just asking if they would mind the 2 ducks. I'm trying to get into vet school so I can use the in my plea. I mean they tolerate the loud screaming parrots and the barking dog so why not some duckies? How will I know if they've imprinted on me?
    [​IMG]

4. Diamond88

Diamond88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2012
    Chicago
    A sure sign of being imprinted is if they follow you around. Hold them every day so that they get used to you and learn that you're not dangerous. They'll eventually be able to recognize your face and your voice. Most ducks aren't cuddly, though, so even if they're imprinted, they might not like to be held. My duck knows I'm her mommy and she likes to be near me, but she's still skittish when I try to pick her up. Even so, she's still a great pet! Your little ones are so adorable. Congratulations on your new babies!

5. ducklucky

ducklucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2012
    Mid-Maine
    Handle them as much as they will tolerate, maybe if you can hold both together, they won't stress at being separated. They have imprinted on each other, but maybe as a pair, they will bond with you. Keep their feet on a solid surface when handling. Put a towel in your lap. Lots of love, talk, sing to them so they know your voice. Always carry any treats in the same type bag so the recognize it. They will eventually know that bag and something good is in there. Talk, talk, talk to them and MAKE them come to YOU instead of the other way around for treats. Found thawed green peas are a good healthy treat and make them take it from your hand rather than throwing it to them. Don't force anything on them. If they cower in the corner when you approach, get down to their level, talk to them and slowly extend your hand with their treat, let them take the initiative. If they don't take it after a short time, put a few on the ground, like in a trail towards your hand. They'll catch on. And yes, would talk to your neighbors, do you have female babies? Bribe your neighbors with the promise of eggs if they are. Most people won't mind, they're not roosters for goodness sake, and if you keep them in your space, what the heck would they complain about. If you are friendly with your neighbors at all, invite them over to meet them while they are still so darn cute, who can resist? You should be fine. Make sure your town doesn't have any restrictions on "farm" animals as well, would hate to see you lose them. Good luck to you, they are adorable, and good luck with your schooling. We need more vets for sure!

6. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    Well I plan to specialize in farm animals, exotic animals, and birds with the vet career. Chickens and ducks are apparently not allowed in Throop but I have never seen any documentation. That's why I plan to keep them indoors and take them to secluded areas for outdoor fun and baths until I straighten it out. So far I have 3 signatures on my petition and I have a next door neighbor who used to have 3 chickens so I'm sure she'll be all for it since she always talks about them. I have an informational packet to go with petition to show; why chickens and ducks were banned in the first place, what good pets they make, how they are not farm animals, and much more.

7. ducklucky

ducklucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2012
    Mid-Maine
    Surely the whole issue for the ban on "farm' animals was rooster related, or goats that wandered into others' gardens and the like. If you can show you will keep your babes confined...politics, hate politics! So stupid, don't these people have anything better to do? I mean, really! A measly three little ducks, if they make an issue, definitely fight it, so absolutely ridiculous. Sure you will hear their argument well then everyone will be doing it, and so what's the problem exactly? So stupid. Anyway, sure you will be fine, you have your neighbors' support, so should be a non-issue. So happy to hear you want to be a farm vet, here in Maine we only have a handful, you would be welcome here with open arms. If you consider coming up here, let us know, we could maybe help you out with housing or whatever. Sure you want to stay in your area with family and so forth, but farm vets are sorely in short supply up here. What a great vocation you are choosing, and by the way, we are seeing more and more exotic animals here also, ostrich, emus, llamas, alpacas, etc. So the business is there. BEST, BEST of luck with your schooling, do well and you will do well. Good karma and all that...

8. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    I enlisted the help of a very proactive neighbor and he contacted his friend and she is looking into the law, if it even exists. She said other people have kept chickens in Throop in the past.

9. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    Just an update. The ducklings are doing well and growing fast. Since they will be pets I'm going to give them the best care possible. I'm giving them non-medicated starter food as a staple diet. I also supplement their diet with fresh papaya, bananas, carrots, and apples, turtle pellets, live minnows, and live mealworms. They live in a huge cardboard box corral with a mesh cover and a 150 watt red incandesent light. They only follow me sometimes but I'm really hoping they bond to me. I'm a parrot trainer so I'm going to try clicker training them to make living with them easier. It's going to be 60 degrees out monday so I'm taking them to the park for some fun.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by