New ducklings

pnewman

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 15, 2013
Hello

My runners just hatched some new ones.
Should I put out some feed and water or will mom take care of them.
Also she moved her nest off of the old eggs but is very protective should I go and clean everything out?
She acts like she will attack me but I am certainly not going to be taken down by a duck, i just do not want to upset the balance too much.
Also my female mallard wend and made a nest under one of my pine trees. again I do not think there is much I can do about it, but I am worried about predators that me harm her or her young.

Thank you

Paul

Hello

My runners just hatched some new ones.
Should I put out some feed and water or will mom take care of them.
Also she moved her nest off of the old eggs but is very protective should I go and clean everything out?
She acts like she will attack me but I am certainly not going to be taken down by a duck, i just do not want to upset the balance too much.
Also my female mallard wend and made a nest under one of my pine trees. again I do not think there is much I can do about it, but I am worried about predators that me harm her or her young.

Thank you

Paul
Put food and water close enough mama duck can take her ducklings and show them where it is and how to eat, I'd wait till she takes the babies out for the first time then go in and clean out the nest she left, that way she won't be upset. and your Mallard will most likely be eaten if you don't either surround her with electric fence or move her to a secure building where she can either continue with this brood or try again,. if you move her take as much of the nesting material she is using now, I just successfully moved my Muscovy duck and her 4 goose eggs to a large dog crate so she can have peace and quiet and saftey with in the coop. and
welcome-byc.gif

Thank you for the response.
My mallards are not real people friendly they are tame but within 3 feet or so.
I cannot make her go in the pen or coop.
I will try to fence her in where she is an open it up in the day time.
The reason the Mallards left the pen is we have 11 Guinea and 8 runners she was getting tired of all of the runners jumping on her, they moved out about two weeks ago, the male and female.

Back
Top Bottom