New Ducklings

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by DeeEinstein, Feb 23, 2014.

1. DeeEinstein

DeeEinstein Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2013
    Does anyone have any general suggestions on raising ducklings? We just recently purchased 2 new little ones and I'd like any
    kind of input for these two.
    [​IMG]

2. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Ducklings are, first and foremost, MESSY. Their waterer will become more and more of an issue, I have found if you can figure out how to keep the water mess to a minimum they aren't much harder than baby chicks, they grow like CRAZY as well, which is a bonus.

I have taken rat wire with small square holes, about a quarter inch, and formed it over the top of a baking pan, then sat their waterer in the middle of that. Because they will love love love to take mouthfuls of their food and dabble in their water and sling the whole mess around. It gets nasty and smelly really fast.

Just be ready for them to grow like weeds and to be really messy with their water, and you will have it covered. Good luck!

3. DeeEinstein

DeeEinstein Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2013
    Thanks! We've only had them for 3 nights now and they are about 3-4 weeks old. I've already noticed that they are getting bigger and growing rather fast. I love having them and think they are absolutely adorable. I'm going to try and rig something up for their water bowl because as you've stated, they ARE messy lol!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by