New Ducklings!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kherokee, Jan 22, 2015.

1. kherokee

kherokee Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2014
    Connecticut
    In the spring, along with 5 new chicks to add to my flock, I wanted to adopt two little female ducklings. I was just wondering if there's anyone out there who taught their duckies to come when called? I do have a lake in my backyard and would love them to play around in it in the summer while im watching of course, but also have them come on command and not just leave [​IMG]

thanks for any advice!

2. tdd2

tdd2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2014
    SEPA, USA
    All 5 of mine come when called.

It took a couple months of 'training', but I did it by keeping thawed frozen pees in a small Tupperware type container with a lid on it.

Each time I call them with "come here", I would shake the container at the same time - they immediately come running (and flying) because they know it's time for treats. They now associate either the shaking the container or my "come here" with coming to me when they are in the yard.

I've also got mine 'trained' to go in their secure pen when told "in your pen", and into their barn at night when told "time for bed" - using the same process.

I used the sound of the container being shaken so that it could be repeated by a family member or friend if we had someone watching them for us.

Hope that helps!

Cheers'!

Dan

1 person likes this.
  3. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    Well if ou raise them and truly care for them like spending massive amounts of time with them they should just follow you everywhere until there about 6 months old then they still let you near them ( this is all only possible if you get a breed that you love and you care for them, also some of the more skittish breeds might not do this, all depends on the ducks personality)

4. AnconaDuckFarm

AnconaDuckFarm Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2014
    All 23 of my Ancona ducks came when I called "duck duck duck duck duck". I let them free range then at the end of the day when I put them up I call and they come. I trained them by giving them food at certain times of they day when they were a month old and whenever they ate i would repeat the call. They now associate the call with food.
    Hope it works for you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by