New ducks, can you help me identify the breed?

charlotteterry

Hatching
7 Years
May 21, 2012

The black and white one came about a month ago. He/she left for one day, and brought back the brown and white one. If you have any idea which sex they might be that would also be helpful. One or both have been laying eggs (18 so far). Very friendly ducks.

Also, the black and white duck has blue eyes. The black feathers are actually a mix of dark blue, green, or purple.

I can't really see the faces well but could be Muscovy if they have somewhat bare faces. Listen to the quack sound males are low and rhaspby, females are loud distinctive quacks males have a curly feather at the end of their tail feathers.

Last edited:
I can't really see the faces well but could be Muscovy if they have somewhat bare faces. Listen to the quack sound males are low and rhaspby, females are loud distinctive quacks males have a curly feather at the end of their tail feathers.

They look like Muscovy hens to me. Muscovies don't quack. The boys don't have a drake feather either. The females sometimes whistle, and the boys are rather very very quiet and have larger red areas on their faces, Carnucles (sp?)

Here's one of my hens

And here is my drake, excuse his nastyness lol this was when we first got him and he pooped all over the tote we had him in and it got on his feathers lol

Neither quack- they chirp and coo like pigeons when happy (or eating). Here is a picture of one close up.

The black and white one came about a month ago. He/she left for one day, and brought back the brown and white one. If you have any idea which sex they might be that would also be helpful. One or both have been laying eggs (18 so far). Very friendly ducks.
So your saying they just showed up at your house? Are you keeping them? if so I hope you provide for them a safe place to sleep at night out of way of preds which love to eat them, and speaking of eating their eggs are great for baking and eating. Congrats on you 2 beautiful girls. Unless they are very young then you could have a pair. Post a close up faces only and maybe we can tell. I love my Scovies!!

Yes, they just showed up but we have a large pond and a horse barn. They made a nest in a stall in the barn, so they do have a shelter. The dogs don't bother them- in fact, sometimes the ducks will snap the dogs on the nose.

Back
Top Bottom