New Ducks! Caused need for Bigger Housing!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bigtrout, Apr 6, 2012.

1. bigtrout

bigtrout Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2011
    NW PA
    I solved my dilemma of needing new layers to keep up with ever increasing demand. With my current hens I was getting nine eggs a day out of ten hens, and seeing as one is a mallard, thats pretty good, but i need more eggs. I was going to order nine additional welsh hens and a drake, but ducklings as cute as they are, can be messy until they go outside.

I found a girl who had to get rid of some of her ducks, to order a new breed, so I bought 4 additional khaki hens, and a pair of silver phase Welsh Harlequins. They are all six months old, and just beginning to lay....perfect solution. This gives me a total of fifteen hens! Here are some pics of the welshies, they are beautiful!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This of course meant bigger housing, luckily I had an old 8x10 tool shed beside their pond with a concrete floor, I cleaned it out, added sliding pop doors with ropes to open them from the outside, used some old china cubboard doors for windows, and moved my dome type pvc run on the side opposite of the pond. I can let them outside to roam thru one pop door, or just into their protected run thru the other, plus I can walk in now to collect eggs. My first duckhouse was only four feet tall, and it never failed that they would lay eggs in the opposite corner from the "man door"

Here are pics of their new digs!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tomorrow all thats left to do is add some gable vents and door vents to the shed.

If you notice my pond, it is fed by two small springs into the pond liner, and I have a valve to flush it, then it falls into the lower old spring pool. Duck erosion on the sides is a problem, so next weeks project, dig the pool deeper, line it with a liner and add a rock patio all around for them.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  2. TheRookie

TheRookie Chillin' With My Peeps

This is very nice! I love your setup.

3. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Great looking birds! Nice setup too!

4. adelore

adelore Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2012
    Hart, Michigan
    Very nice setup. Your ducks must be very happy. I had to smile at you telling your story about the laying eggs in the corner. Glad you don't have that problem anymore.

We are new to ducks and chickens. We have 4 ducks, yep all from TSC. Who knows what we'll end up with but I hope all girls. My chickens are pullets, (learned that ment all girls.) Glad I asked the differnce between a straight Run and Pulletts.

5. bigtrout

bigtrout Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2011
    NW PA
    Well, their first night in the new house went well and it was great to stand to collect the eggs. They layed nine which is great considering the big change to the new setup yesterday.

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by