New Ducks Need advice!!!

CRH1223

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 4, 2009
PA
I got 2 new ducks today not ever over an hour ago and they are in my bedroom and I just want to know if I am doing everything ok, so tell me what I am doing right and wrong. Right now there just sitting in the corner cuddling with each other under the light.

Big Light:
df7jhf.jpg

Little Light
wiwuao.jpg

Cage
2gtdx0o.jpg

Water Bowl
2pqoz0x.jpg

Food Bowl
28qsr3a.jpg

They don't look like the are freezing, they actually look comfortable which is good. I would not give them such a large dish of water, because you don't want them to swim in it. I would give them something smaller to drink from. Same for food. It is easier to refill then to deal with a mess. I use a cookie sheet under the food and water because it is easier to clean and it also keeps the rest dry. I don't give mine wood shavings until they are 2 weeks old because the can block their system, if they eat them. Cedar chips are a no-no because they are toxic, so I use pine only. You may need something larger for them, because it will get messy soon. I give my ducks warm water swimming options once per day. I start off with a paint tray in the bath tub, monitored, only.
Katharina

you will soon notice that: one pound of food in = 10 pounds of food out, They tend to bill or scoop their food which tosses it everywhere but in their mouths, and they are messy, loving the water and did i mention that they poop forever, just make sure that they get enough heat and no drafts oh and the food, they eat just a wee bit then poo for days... did I already mention that they are mhit sachines? Have fun, oh and they are noisy. And their poo smells. oh and they have alot of it. have fun, Ducklings are the best.

They are cute. Are they Pekins?

How old are they?

A little stuffed animal, like a beanie baby, would be great for them to snuggle with. FYI, they beanie babies do wash well in the wash machine and dry in the dryer. My duck's beanie has been washed numerous times.

Do you have a thermometer to check the temperature in the cage you have them in? What is the temp in your house? Depending on their age, they need to be kept at a certain temperature.

What are you feeding them? It looks like crumbles, but is it medicated or non-medicated chick feed?

Do a search under the search feature here on how to care for ducklings. There should be lots of good advice. Also, Storey's Guide to Ducks is an invaluable reference that you should go ahead and get to learn alot about them.

They will outgrow your cage VERY quickly. What are your plans for where they will live in two weeks, a month, two months, etc. and when they are grown? Do you have any place that is predator proof for when they live outside? If not, do a search on that too and you will get lots of ideas.

There is sooooo much to learn and know about these guys. I don't know what you know or don't know, if you have done research, etc. There are stickies at the beginnning of the duck forum with lots of information. Go read those and you will get ideas for what treats they can have, what they shouldn't have, etc. as well as tons of other information.

Also, I would advise just take the time to sit down and start reading all the duck threads, or at least the ones that interest you or pertain to ducklings and just read all the pages and pages of questions and peoples answers. I learned so much doing this. I didn't know anything about ducks except they were cute. Then, two years ago, we got an orphaned duck and I had to learn in a hurry. This forum is incredibly packed with information. Just read, read, read and search, search, search especially on this forum, but also on google. There are lots of informational websites out there.

I will try and answer any specific questions you have. I certainly am not an expert, but I do have ducks and have raised a few ducklings, so I will try and help. There are many, many people on here that have years of experience. I am sure some will come answer your questions if you have any, after you have searched, etc. It helps to ask specific questions too. But, try and use the search feature first, ok? For instance, for temperature in the brooder, you will find out what age they have to have certain temperature, etc. Or, when can my duckling start swimming, etc. things along that line. Search and you will find lots of threads already talking about it.

Take care,
kathy

Thanks for all the advice... I think there Pekin ducks and they about a week and a half old according to the store. They had food there that I bought it is called flock raiser. One of them is chirping like crazy after just eating and drinking. I hope this is normal.

Also I do not have any other pets that could get to them.

Just thought about the walls, they wont be clean for long. Ducks splat and throw food two feet up. A large crate lined with plastic will be better. Here are some pictures:
brooderbox1.jpg

brooderbox2.jpg

brooderbox3.jpg

I use dog training pads, because you throw them into the trash and they reduce odor. I had mine in the kitchen, they are now out in the duck house.
Katharina

HAHA Thanks I just found that out the wall behind it just got splashed with food and water.

Can I take them outside and let them walk around with my supervision? Also can I let them swim and for how long do you usually let them swim?

FYI they are domesticated ducks.

Last edited:
It depends on the weather. I guess they are one week old, at this point it is not always good to let them out. They can become prey for birds. Swimming has to be in 90 degree water for now. No more then 5 minutes. I let my ducks out when they are 2 weeks old and temps are above 70. At 3 weeks they can be out all day when temps are above 65. They need sun and shaded areas. I train my ducks with peas and they follow me anywhere when they just see the bowl. I do walks once they are 3 weeks old. They need to develop good muscles and foot joints first. Get them onto vitamin/electrolyte water now, this will prevent a lot of common problems.
Katharina

Quote:
Thanks for the help, it is about 73 degrees outside but it is going down because it is almost night time so I might just put some towels on the ground and let them walk around my room.

Back
Top Bottom