New Ducks Not Eating?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nayeli, Mar 9, 2014.

1. nayeli

nayeli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2014
    I got ducks yesterday, and was told they would be hungry because they missed breakfast. I have put food in for them but I haven't noticed any of it being gone. They are skittish and prefer to be away from me, and are in a dog kennel until the privacy fence is finished... it has taken longer than expected.

They are playing in the water, drinking etc. I have put regular food, lettuce, and even tomatoes in and haven't seen them eat yet.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    How old are the new ducks?

What were they fed before?

My initial thoughts are - stress, new environment, different kind of feed or feeder, grief at the change

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    yep all the above ,ducks don't take to change well but they do get use to it eventually. once they can be let outside in their new place they will be happier. Be sure to posts pics when you can.

4. nayeli

Jan 18, 2014
    I was told the ducks are around 5-6 months old. They haven't been eating but have been drinking. We just got our privacy fence finished so they will be out soon, and we have a kiddie pool for them to play in.

It is also a different feed, the feed store I shop at didn't have the kind they were fed previously. I did try to bribe them with romaine lettuce and tomatoes which I read were favorites on here to no avail.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    If you can get some dried meal worms mine will do a song and dance for them. tomatoes they aren't crazy about but romaine lettuce the like, Give them about a week they settle down.

6. nayeli

Jan 18, 2014
    I saw them both eat! As soon as I put them outside and gave them a kiddie pool to swim in they have been doing great! Now we gotta work on the coop.

7. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all

Instead of using that try deer corn feed usually you can get it from a co op store or at a wildlife hardware store

Also at bass pro .

8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

9. nayeli

Jan 18, 2014
    They have already taken to finding refuge in the bushes, hopefully that doesn't mean I have a hard time getting eggs... I am thinking it should offer them some protection from predators. How do ya'll protect yours? We have a privacy fence and are building a coop.

10. nayeli

Jan 18, 2014
    [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by