New ducks - wrong species, unknown sex - help!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kodiakchicken, Apr 28, 2008.

1. kodiakchicken

kodiakchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Kodiak, Alaska
    Hi all, I just talked to the hatchery that's sending out my chicks and ducks. They were getting ready to put them in the mail and their magpie hatch wasn't good. I had originally ordered magpies - 2 hens, 1 drake. He called and asked if he could send 1 magpie, 1 black cayuge and 1 blue suede. I understand the magpie hatch not going well and was open to other species. Then I asked him if I was still going to get 1 male, 2 females. He said no, they were straight run. I told him to go ahead and send them, only because my order is just part of an order that includes chicks for three other people and I didn't want to slow the order down.

My question is this though, if I do end up with at least one hen, can they cross breed? I was hoping to breed the magpies, but was not completely committed to the breed. I also wanted the eggs. I notice that most people who get straight-run chicks end up with a lot of roosters. Does the same thing happen with ducks? I really didn't want to feed three more mouths if they weren't at least going to give me eggs or babies. I know we could eat them if they are drakes, but I tend to get attached. Darn it!!!

2. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
  3. kodiakchicken

Apr 18, 2008
    Kodiak, Alaska
    Hmmm, very interesting!

I literally JUST got back from Anchorage after being stuck there (due to Kodiak weather) for 2 days. It's probably a good thing I didn't know this during the two days I had nothing to do!

4. Lophura

Lophura Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Holden, Missouri
    Quote:All domestic duck breeds (except the Muscovy) are the same species, domesticated Anas platyrhynchos, they will cross readily with each other.

Here's an example of a hybrid between two domestic species, a Muscovy Cairina moschata and some type of domestic Anas platyrhynchos. These ducks are usually sterile.

[​IMG]

Dan

5. kodiakchicken

Apr 18, 2008
    Kodiak, Alaska
    Dan,

Which ducks are sterile - the offspring of muscovies crossed with others or the offspring of mallard descendant x mallard descendant.

Sorry for all the questions - genetics was not my forte'!

6. Lophura

Lophura Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Holden, Missouri
    Quote:No problem - the offpring of domestic mallards x muscovy are generally sterlie. Offspring between the different domestic mallard breeds (ie Khaki Cambell, Runners, Swedes, etc) are fertile.

On another note (or for those who may be interested), many hybrids between wild Anas species are also fertile. Has caused a problem with populations of North American Black Duck x Mallards in the US and Pacific Grey Ducks x Mallards in Australia. Mallards have also been known to hybridize with Shelducks, Pochards, Wood Ducks - not very picky!! I posted some hybrid links on another post here a few weeks ago, but can't find it now!!

Dan

7. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I'm really enjoying all this duck info! My White Pekin hen and Mallard Drake have the most beautiful babies I've ever seen. They are solid black with white accents. The Runner hen got frisky with both the Runner male and Mallard Drake and the babies with the Mallard look like upright Mallards with rounder heads but Runner bodies. I had no idea some cross breeds were sterile though!
    K

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by