New ducks!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by shelleyd2008, Aug 20, 2010.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    My son has been nagging me for a few weeks, saying that he wants some of those 'running' ducks. Lucky (for him [​IMG]), there were some at auction tonight. So now we are the proud owners of 3 'running' ducks, a pair of fawn/whites, and another drake. I don't know what to call his color, maybe blue? Who knows, but they sure are funny! We turned them out in the yard, and proceeded to chase them away from the woods quite a few times. Eventually they made their way to the pond, so apparently they're going to live with the pond ducks instead of the yard ducks, but that's okay [​IMG]

Here's a pic of our new 'running' ducks [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. duckluv

duckluv Crowing

Aug 20, 2010
    Ohio
    The correct name is Runner Ducks, and they are very good layers and scavangers. I think the drake is either a blue runner or a black runner. Are you planing on ducklings?

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:I know that, but my son is only 5. He calls them 'running' ducks, and I think it's cute [​IMG]

ETA: One of the fawn & whites is also a male. I don't 'plan' on hatching anything, but if she lays eggs they won't go to waste [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Indian Runner ducks are simply gorgeous. No wonder you son has been nagging you for them. They do look lovely too. I have been lucky enough to arrange an egg swap later this year - I am proving Harlequin Indian Runner eggs and will be receiving Fawn and Whites. Ours are much darker here in Australia- but I still love the colour pattern of them.

Hope you son enjoys his new running ducks, and is extra good for a while as a thank you to you for buying them.

5. javajanie

javajanie Songster

May 10, 2010
    Southern MD
    Aww! Those are some pretty duckies. So cute that he calls them "running" ducks! We have 2 runner ducklings and they already running around and are just hilarious.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by