New Easter Egger - Scruffy - Could she be moulting?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Wishapup, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Wishapup

Wishapup Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    Canada
    I just got three new hens to add to my flock---1 RIR, 1 Barred Rock, and an EE. They are all 11 months old.

I'm unsure about the condition of the Easter Egger hen. She looks pretty scruffy, and has white flakes/large specks in her feathers (not mites--they are fairly large and can be brushed away). Is this molting?[​IMG]

If the EE is molting, why just her and not the RIR/Barred Rock?

Appreciate any input. I will try to get a picture and post it if necessary.

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    sounds like a job for head and shoulders ! lol, chickens do molt at different speeds and times but i wonder if she has had a good diet before you got her ? a little vitamins wouldn't hurt and some sunshine if you can find any

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  4. Wishapup

May 1, 2013
    Canada
    I don't know what her diet was before. The other RIR and Barred Rock that were with her are both sleek and good-looking, although only those 2 do have dirty tail ends (I don't think they were used to sleeping on a roost?). I'll try to give her some treats and special care...it's pretty dark and cold where we are right now. We plan to set up a light.

Thanks for the reply! [​IMG]

5. Wishapup

May 1, 2013
    Canada
    Thank you, Eggcessive. It looked like she was already scruffy when we got her (today), but she's only 11 months old, apparently. I hope it will turn out to be molting, anyway. I'll examine her in detail tomorrow, and peruse the links.

6. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    [​IMG]

7. Wishapup

May 1, 2013
    Canada
    Oh--and are there specific foods you would recommend feeding to give her more nutrients? She certainly doesn't look like my glossy bantams, and I'd like to get her to that condition, but my 8 Black Sex-Links are scruffy and possibly molting as well.

Edit: How long does a molt usually last? My Sex-Links have been scruffy for weeks now, I think.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  8. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    im not sure how long, usually when they molt it is gradual and you may not even notice. i do feed my birds apurina flock raiser with 22% protein because i feed guineas and doodles the same food , it makes it easier on me as well and they all seem to do very well on it it is a couple dollars more but worth it to me

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    To give more protein you can offer some 24% gamebird feed, some tuna, liver, hamburger, dry cat food in small quantities. Don't overdo it though because you can cause gout down the road. Ithink Purina flcok raiser is only 20%, but it is good feed as well as Southern States Rocking Rooster 20% pellets which I use. After molt which lasts about a month to 6 weeks just reduce the protein back down to 16-20 %.

10. Wishapup

May 1, 2013
    Canada
    Thank you, that's very helpful! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by