new edition to the flock

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by clovousj, Jun 9, 2011.

1. clovousj

clovousj New Egg

Jun 9, 2011
    Can I add new chicks to my three month old hens safely or will they kill them?

2. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    Boy that's a complicated question to answer without some background on your situation. Where did your first batch come from? How about the new ones? Are they 3 month old and 3 day old and how many of each? etc

I wasn't sure if you meant will the little ones will kill the older ones because of possible diseases or if you meant the older ones would kill them because the older ones are really big and will peck them to death?

If the latter, you are not going to be able to combine them together from a safety perspective. The older ones will bully the little ones and will likely 'pecking-order' them to death. They really need to be close to the same size to integrate them together.

I hope you have a wonderful adventure with your new chickens! [​IMG]

3. clovousj

clovousj New Egg

Jun 9, 2011
    Thank You For Your Reply I Was More Worried About My Three Month Old Girls Picking On The Three Week Olds. After Many Supervised Testing My Husband Split The Coop With A Baby Gate System So The Big Girls Can See And Lightly Peck But Not Do Any Serious Injury. It Has Been Working Wonderfully :d

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by