New EE babies!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LivingCanvas, Apr 30, 2016.

1. LivingCanvas

LivingCanvas Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2016
    Glen Carbon, IL
    Well, I went to the store & came home with 3 more EE babies! This is my first year with chickens so I'm a newbie. But I'm kinda nervous about them being in the same brooder as my other chicks, which range from 2-5 weeks in age. Should I separate them or just watch closely?[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    I would separate them. 5 weeks is huge.

3. LivingCanvas

Apr 12, 2016
    Glen Carbon, IL

Darn. My 5 week old EEs don't seem to care. They're snuggling with them. It's the slightly younger Buff Brahmas that seem to not care where they're walking.

4. LivingCanvas

Apr 12, 2016
    Glen Carbon, IL
    [​IMG]

Right now, they're just spread out...as close or as far away from the heat as necessary.

5. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Your call but typically older chicks pick on the younger and smaller ones.

6. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    I find that hard to come by.I had two new chicks last year and added them to my flock (They were a 2 week difference) and this bunch was a bunch of fighters.They all snuggled togethr and ate bread together as SOON as I put them in there.Even the two cockerals allowed each other to be together (But about 3 months of age was the breaking pint and everyone knew how to fight.)

7. LivingCanvas

Apr 12, 2016
    Glen Carbon, IL

Find what hard to come by?

I keep going to check on them & they seem to be doing fine. They're either snuggled up together or just scattered. There's another 1-2 that are around the same size as the newbies and they've been in the brooder with the older ones for a bit now. I had no idea that BCM roos develop so much slower than their female counterparts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by