new egg found

yanina

Hatching
Nov 21, 2015
hi,

i and my husband started to breed a chicken, today we saw an egg but she's not sitting on it should we buy some hay and transfer the egg there? or make a small covered box for her? please help as we are newbies on this.

Thanks a lot

welcome-byc.gif
Not all breeds of chickens will set upon and hatch their eggs. Those that do lay a clutch of eggs in a chosen nest site and then go broody and set upon them. What breed of chickens do you have?

If you would like to breed your chicken, your best bet is to buy or make an incubator. Chickens will go broody (sit on eggs to hatch) whenever they feel like it and some not at all. Of my 6 laying chickens, only two have gone broody in the past year and a half.
It would help to give her a small box and some nesting material, but that will mostly only encourage her when she is ready. It will also encourage her to lay in the same place everyday and make her feel comfortable.

On a side note, are you close to Doha? I've been there a couple times, such beautiful architecture! And an awesome mall!

Back
Top Bottom