New egg head

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by fairestfinches, Jan 27, 2009.

1. fairestfinches

fairestfinches Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2009
    Sprignfield, IL
    I have been reading posts on the BYC forum for some time and have been really impressed with how well the members here share information and how there is no drama on this forum. Kudos to the members for that.

We started breeding finches some number of years ago and started Fairest Finches & Supply. After all of the years of raising finches and buying eggs to make egg food for breading birds I finally decided to see if it would be more economical to keep our own chickens for egg production. I have also been interested in keeping chickens for the needs of our family.

After alot of research for the right kind of chicken for us and the finches I settled on Australorps. Last July my wife Michele gave me the green light to order some chickens and build them a coop. Well, she didn't say how many chickens I could get so I ordered 14 Australorp pullets.

We lost one at around 14 weeks from fright when it got out of the run and my lab mix pinned her down for me to catch her. The poor chicken must have thought it was dead meat and expired instantly.

Since then the other 13 hens have been busy getting big and started laying. On Christmas day I got the best present since my big wheel when I was a kid. . . One of my hens layed her first egg. My mother in law didn't find it to amusing when I stated that I was considering replacing baby Jesus in our nativity with the egg.

Since getting our chickens I have found myself spending more time than I should observing them and enjoying their antics. I never thought that I would get so much enjoyment out of them. Michele just rolls her eyes at me when I tell her chicken stories, but she secretly enjoys them as much as I do.

I'll be posting photos and pictures of our coop and of the girls as time permits.

Thanks for all who have posted and all of those that will post in the future.

Sean

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

Imp

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    [​IMG]

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    WELCOME!!

No drama is allowed here.

Not even for fun!

But TONS of great info and awesome administrators/moderators.

5. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    [​IMG]

6. Chickenhatcher89

Chickenhatcher89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Lawrenceburg, TN
    [​IMG]

7. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN

8. Dandelion007

Dandelion007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    Durant, OK
    [​IMG]

Quote:[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    [​IMG]

So nice to have you here!

The community wouldn't be half of what it is without the thousands of members who visit, who ask questions, and who share their knowledge and experience (or their learning as they're just starting out!). You're very welcome to jump into the conversation anywhere, any time you like (and I really hope you will!).

Can't wait to see those pics, and to see you elsewhere around the forum! [​IMG]

10. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    Welcome to BYC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by