New Egg Layer - What to Feed??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by dfriloux, Oct 26, 2011.

1. dfriloux

dfriloux Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2010
    One of my EEs just laid her first egg (which was small, but solid and a very pretty blue). She's the first out of the five to lay and I'm wondering what to feed them now. They've been eating starter feed and they get to roam around the yard a bit eating bugs and such. I rarely feed them "people" food (a cantaloupe or pumpkin seeds or suet on rare occasions, but that's pretty much it). What changes should I make now that they've laying?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

You have a choice. You can continue with a raiser type feed and offer a calcium source on the side. Most folks use crushed oyster shells. Or, you can feed a layer feed which has a good supply of calcium carbonate mixed right into the feed. That is the only thing that makes layer feed "special", is the boosted calcium.

I feed layer only because the price is right and it contains 17% protein, including animal protein, which I find much better than merely feeding a vegetarian diet, which doesn't line up with what a chicken truly is.

Hope that helps.

3. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Some layer pellets will work. If free ranging they will usually copme back to the pen to lay if you give them some layyer pellets at the coop.

4. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Fred's Hens :

You have a choice. You can continue with a raiser type feed and offer a calcium source on the side. Most folks use crushed oyster shells. Or, you can feed a layer feed which has a good supply of calcium carbonate mixed right into the feed. That is the only thing that makes layer feed "special", is the boosted calcium.

I feed layer only because the price is right and it contains 17% protein, including animal protein, which I find much better than merely feeding a vegetarian diet, which doesn't line up with what a chicken truly is.

Hope that helps.

X2 Good luck. How exciting!!​

5. jessicayarno

jessicayarno Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I feed a 20% lay crumble and have supplemental lighting in the winter... I think they need extra protein in the winter, especially if it gets really cold where you live..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by