New egg layer with issues??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 5 spoiled hens, Oct 25, 2009.

1. 5 spoiled hens

5 spoiled hens Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2009
    Oregon
    I have a Black Austrolorp that seems to have a really hard time laying her eggs. She started laying October 11th @ 6 1/2 months old. It seems to me that it is very uncomfortable for her and the shell is really dry and scratchy and spotty when she finally gets it out - this can take up to several hours. She runs, walks, yells, jumps and paces around the yard being very loud all the while walking pigeon toed and acting like she has a corncob stuck (you know where). Then she stops walking and fluffs her feathers out and out pops the egg. Sometimes breaking the egg if she is on the cement or rocks.

I really hate to see her in this much pain, it's a good thing she only lays every other day. My question is can a chicken be lacking lubrication? Is there something I can feed her to help her with the lubrication?

I have been feeding her organic layer pellets, cracked corn and organic spinach for treats. They also have a container of grit and I give them a little oyster shells about once a week. I clean and fill their water container daily.

Thank in advance for any help!

2. Garden Gal

Garden Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Virginia
    I can't help unfortunately, but did want to let you know I'm out here rooting for an answer!

3. 5 spoiled hens

Oct 25, 2009
    Oregon
    Thank you - I am hoping she is just getting used to laying and the pain will stop soon. I was hoping there was someone out there that has had the same thing happen to their chick and could tell me how to help!

4. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

When my first pullet layed her first egg last year, she came out of the coop yelling and hollering as if she had been attacked. She and all of the other girls were staring in the coop like there was a vicious predator in it. I opened it up to check, and there was a little egg in the middle of the coop [​IMG] Now they all lay their eggs as if it's the most normal thing in the world. When a pullet first begins to lay, there are some issues that can occur. But, it is normal for them to behave as if they are uncomfortable. Their bodies are just getting used to an entirely new thing and it can take some time to adjust and work out the kinks.

Do you have a nest box set up for her yet? If not, you will want to. They will naturally look for a private space. If you put a wooden egg or a golf ball in the nest box it will encourage her to lay in it. Part of her anxiety before laying could be that she is looking for an appropriate spot to lay. When mine are free ranging and having trouble getting back to the coop quickly to lay they become very stressed and noisy.

You will also want to leave out oyster shell full time for calcium supplementation. You could bake egg shells and have those available to them instead.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  5. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    I have read that a quite a few people have a bowl or some kind of feeder with oyster shell out all the time, I use a feeder with calicum and then I give the egg shells about once a week, my chickens seem to do fine I do have a bantam that takes her time laying and none of my chickens will lay without the golf ball in the nest tried to remove them and they would not lay in the nestbox until i put it back the bantams really seem to lke the golf ball not sure if it helps them lay or not and I did not ask do you have nest boxes for them if not get them up that might be what she is looking for is some place private to lay. my last three that just started to lay are not alwayslaying in the nest boxes yet but since they all fight over the 2 red ones I have I need to get another red one in there stupid chickens won't use the blue one [​IMG] I would also suggest getting chicken for dummies that seems to be the book that a lot of people on byc recommend for reading I looked and my liabary does not have it so I am just going to buy it. I hope your chicken gets better [​IMG] and you can figure out what is going on. good luck

6. 5 spoiled hens

Oct 25, 2009
    Oregon
    Thank you for all of your replies. Yes I have a nest box in the top of their coop and another up on a shelf in a dry area of the yard where they like to hang out. She is doing a little better this week. I have been giving all of them a little bread soaked in olive oil. She actually laid three day's in a row. Maybe shi is getting the hang of it. Unfortunately I don't know if she has a hard time of it M-F while I am at work. I only get to observe this o the week-end. She has not laid yet today, but I am keeping an eye on her to see if she is having as hard of a time when she lays. I might try the golf ball trick and see if that helps. Thanks again for all of the suggestions.
    Still learning and loving it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by